I need a little help starting the 65

Woody3882

5 Year Member
Jun 19, 2018
Bradenton Fl 34212
I have a 65 Mustang 289, fresh restoration. I had it covered in the garage covered for three months, it ran great when put to bed. Today I tried to start it with no luck, no cranking when I turn the key. But if I hot wire the solenoid it will crank fine. The battery is fully charged, the solenoid is new, all electrical connections were checked and are secure. What would hold it out from starting ? Is there a neutral safety switch on the 65 ? I am open to any and all suggestions .
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Hi, Should be a Neutral Safety Switch there, you can test it with a VOM to ensure it closes the circuit on a continuity setting, or jump it by temporarily landing the terminals together (Just remember you did & repair).
If it was fine before storage, it’s likely a simple connection, or dirty contact inside the Keyswitch, it’s circuit, Starter Relay, Grounds. Recheck your work.
Pony’s detest stagnation & let you know it!
Can you confirm you have Voltage to fire the Solenoid by using a VOM’s lead tip through it’s wire’s insulation from above with a VOM on DCV, grounding the other lead & have someone turn the key to the “start” position?
A physical “tap” with the plastic end of a Screwdriver may help your Relay “remember” it needs to work again, same with the starter with a “love tap” or two on its base with a flatface of a weighty hammer.
Good luck! -John

I had a brand new one crap out on me! I was chasing my tail and the damn solenoid was bad!
Hi, Glad you located yours, too. Just because it’s new doesn’t mean it’s a done deal. They really do make some junk these days. Hope you were able to get some credit back towards a replacement. If not, you could pursue that route. Used to be able to buy something and rely on it yielding a reasonable lifespan. Best of luck to both of you!
- John