I Need Help!!! I Got Stranded!..... (Clutch Problems)

FastStang 2

Apr 13, 2006
I just got my car ( '93 GT ) back today from the shop..... (it's about time!!)

First thing I do is take it on the highway for a test drive. I noticed I had to apply more pressure than before, to the clutch to get it into gear. I exited the highway in order to go back the way I came from. I got back on. When doing this, I pushed the accelerator kinda hard in the 1st gear (at the same time burning a little rubber). I shifted fine to 2nd & 3rd gear, but I could not get into 4th and 5th gears. I also noticed the clutch pedal was hitting the floor. I had to exit the highway once again, but this time in Neutral. As the car was decelerating to about 10mph, I got it running all the way to 3rd gear without using the clutch. Once I approached a stop sign, I tried to stop. I pushed the clutch (but like I said, it was already all the way down- so that didn't stop the car). I was able to stop with the brake only. It worked, but the car died. I tried to start the car. When I cranked it, the car moved forward in gear. I put it in Reverse and it did the same thing (moved backward). I had to tow it home. Now what should I do????

• Sponsors (?)

Agreed about the clutch being adjusted too loose.

What was the car in the shop for? If clutch related, it sounds like it's on them to fix it.

Good luck.

I initially brought it in because it would not start. That problem- they fixed (the ignition module & coil). After that was fixed, I decided to have other repairs made. They were installing a new oil pan and transmission cross member.

Purely conjecture here but it sounds like they could have had the clutch cable disconnected while doing the work, and they didnt adjust it correctly.

Post your clutch quadrant and cable info (oem or aftermarket quadrant, stock non adjustable clutch or adjustable clutch, do you have a FWA, etc).

If that's all it is, 30 seconds of adjustment will have you back on the road.

Good luck.

After inspecting the cable, I observed it as normal. There are no visible abnormalities. So, nope..... it's not melted. Thanx anyway for the suggestion. I just did a little more investigating. The clutch pedal is not actually all the way to the floor, but pretty close. It appears normal but when I apply pressure, it is actually loose. I turned the car on in Neutral and tried to put it in gear. It would not go in gear.

If you think you have a stock quadrant/pawl assembly, put your foot under the clutch pedal and pull up - that's how it self adjusts. I have the feeling the issue is elsewhere, but it's worth trying.

If you dont have a means of adjustment other than the stock quad/pawl, and those latter two have taken a giant dump on you, you will probably have to grab some new parts (relatively cheap stuff to get).

Good luck.

I tried adjusting it that won't work. (Do i have to take the tranny down to fix the problem , also what new parts do you think i will need ) The clutch is only a year old. I really appreciate your help HISSIN50 Thanks alot i need more info on this that way i can get under the car .

Well i think its safe to assume that your clutch isn't disengaging, which explains the moving forwad or backward depending on what gear you have it in when you try to turn it over. I would suggest replacing the cable, but before you do that, try to adjust the cable yourself to get it to tighten up.

I recommend a cable replacement as well, especially since you mentioned that it started getting hard to depress the pedal before it totally quit working (clutch)

It is very possible that the cable stretched (internally) and you are unable to get the pull that you need

Here's an article by Jeremy Thompson which might be helpful.

As said, I would try to adjust things myself first, but if that isnt possible, new components (quad, FWA, OEM cable; or quad and adjustable Ford cable) would probably help out.

Good luck.

OK guys....... here's the briefing. I jacked the car up for a little more in depth investigating. I noticed the cable was partially broken. You guys were right on!!:hail2: You all are my new best friends!:cheers: Now, I just need a little instruction on how to replace this.:rolleyes: