i need serious help...

mity2

I like Pro3 and all I got was this crappy CT.
Jul 24, 2003
StateCollege PA
I'm in middle of taking my blown tranny out. I took everything off already - Header, starter, drained fluid, driveshaft off, all and every wire harness off. I was able to get all bolts but 1 off of tranny. one at the top on passenger side.
this fu@#er just wouldn't not budge for anything.
I used every 13mm on my disposal - 1/2, 3/4", 6 points, 12 points, long and short. tried ratchet, braker bar, and bigazz f!@#kin' breaker bar, hammer, BFH, impact gun, WD-40, liquid wrench, screaming bloody murder, and wrench. I even put the wrentch on the bolt, and puch it up with 1.5ton floorjack(thats about 600ft-lb!), and nothing would budge it.
Probrem is that where its located at the top of bell housing, no matter how and what i do, i can't get any of above on it without long extention, which i'm loosing alot of torque. i even lowered engine/tranny down about 6", and still can not get to bolt without extention. and now bolt are strarting to get rounded off.

I mean at this point, i wish bolt head just sear off, so that i can at least take tranny out, and use giant vice grip or something to take the bolt off, but them Grade8 hardened steel bolt would not sear off.
I'm at the point where i'm thinking get air powered saw, and cut the bellhousing out(as i have new trans with bellhousing ready to go), and find way to get the bolt out, or take engine and tranny out of the car completely, and put it on the floor and get to it(all that just to take 1 stinkin' bolt off)

what should I do? I'm out of ideas...

• Sponsors (?)

deftsound said:
wow, problems like that make working on cars a real bitch. Sure theres no way of cutting the head off and drillin the bolt out?

if i can get dremal in there, it'll take a while, as temperd steel bolts ar tough as nails, but i can. probrem is that i can't get the dremal in there.
if head is cut off, or break off, then tranny is out. then i can think of million thigs to get broken bolts out. but as of right now, i don't know what to do.

Has anyone tried using those round nut off kit thing from sears??
these?

Okay above mentioned extracter failed( extracter cracked)......
there is NO WAY i have to drop engine and trans just get one stupid ass bolt off. there is no way!!!!
So far, method i've tried that FAILED despite my best effort...
1-3/4" 13mm6pts&12pts(cracked)
2-1/2" 13mm6pts&12pts(12pts cracked)
3-13mm wrentch 6pts&12pts
4-impact gun with psi cranked up
5-PB blaster
6-WD40
7-Rounded nut extracter(cracked)
8-braker bar(cracked extention)
9-do above all while cussing(got yelled at by GF)
10-hope to god that bolt head would sear off(so the tranny can at least comeout) - no such luck

what else can i do befor dropp engine out??

... okay i can now add "put all the tranny bolts back in, then focus on the one that wont come out" to method i tried that failed..

WTF is going on with this bolts?! there is no way anyone tigten bolts this tight. not on belhousing anyhow!! :mad:

mity2 said:
... okay i can now add "put all the tranny bolts back in, then focus on the one that wont come out" to method i tried that failed..

WTF is going on with this bolts?! there is no way anyone tigten bolts this tight. not on belhousing anyhow!! :mad:

Happy Monday sir... I'm feeling pretty bad for you! Two things you may wish to try at this point:

1. Saturate the bolt with something better than WD40 and let it sit for awhile. I had a Prolong lube that worked pretty good, but doubt it still sells. Liquid Wrench is a little better than WD.

2. Call up your strongest friend to come take a hack at it. Put a towel or something soft against the floor-board for when that bolt does finally give - bloody/busted up hand = suxor.

Well, i have resulted to extreme. I cut the bolt head off. took me while, but its off. Now all i have to do is separate tranny from engine. After that, i can use vice grip and twist the hell out of it. And see what the hell is up with this bolt!!!
getting it from the top was not doable, as i can get wrentch on it, but i can not turn it because its hitting firewall...
and i'll tell u why any liquid stuff don't work. due to massive noise and metal powder flying all over, i now have massive headach...

At least, i can now concentrate on the pulling tranny out...

mrvax said:
Did you use a Dremel tool to cut the head off? If so, what head b/c I just bought a Dremel.

used HD metal cut off wheel. bought big box(i think it has 16 brade in it), and all it took was one wheel, and 30min...

ya she's been giving me alot of headach latelly. U know what they say "If it has wheel or tits..."