Exhaust I need to make a decision on muffler selection.

evintho

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Nov 12, 2003
Santa Rosa, CA.
I need to make a decision for my '54 project. I loved the sound my donor '93 LX had! Stock 5.0 motor with Magnaflows. It sounded healthy and mellow but not droney (is that a word?) Don't know what model number the mufflers were but they were rather long. It also had the full cat system on it. It's the same motor in my '54 but with Hedman shorty headers, no cats and a full 2-1/2" exhaust all the way out the back. Any idea what Magnaflows I may have had on the original donor? I know....subjective question!

• Sponsors (?)

You can't really compare a catted system to one that has no cats.
The sound is going to be nothing alike.
Yeah, I assume mine will be much louder. The motor is rebuilt but bone stock except for Hedman shorty headers. I'm looking at these Magnaflows. They're a bit longer and I'm hoping I'll get a nice mellow tone out of them. I'm an OG and my hearing is already shot!

Amazon product ASIN B000COWUDYView: https://www.amazon.com/MagnaFlow-Exhaust-Products-12256-Muffler/dp/B000COWUDY/ref=asc_df_B000COWUDY/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312142084264&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13545511337589525924&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1014257&hvtargid=pla-546666105247&psc=1

For Magnaflow..

You either go with the standard 14x5 oval mufflers or their round Magnapak (what they were called back in the day).

The Oval are WAY too quiet on a 302. They had to have been round, probably in the 16" version. I had Magnaflow make a system with Magnapaks, they had not previously, I ran it on my BTC project.

Im really interested in the new Pypes Turbo Pro baffled mufflers. They copied the old Dynomax baffled mufflers you can't get anymore... loved those on my 83.

Muffler-Flow-Chart_187.jpg

Mike

Back in the day I had 3 chamber Flowmasters with an entire stock exhaust. It was more than stock mufflers, but far from loud. Changed to a 2.25 offroad pipe and it was extremely loud.
Soon I'm going to swap my ultraflo welded mufflers for super turbos, but I do not have high hopes it's going to quiet the car down enough.
I'll bet stock fox mufflers are even loud with no cats.