I own a 94 GT vert now...

ratio411

Founding Member
Apr 21, 2002
Pensacola FL
Well, I did it.
I traded my Maverick for the 94 vert.

My middle child, youngest son, is getting his learner permit and will be needing a car suitable to learn/drive. The Maverick didn't fit either description.

The kid has had a 4.0 grade average practically since the womb. So I wanted to be able to do something nice for him. He also has no mechanical aptitude... That meant he needed a car that he could turn the key and go. This fits that bill.

I am going to play with it, mod it a little, and drive it myself over the next 12 months while he learns to drive. He isn't allowed to drive without a parent during that time. Then when he gets his full license, I will turn this car over to him for an unspecified time. Just agreeing that when he gets out on his own and can get his own car, this one will revert back to me.

I can't sign it over outright. As much as I would like to, I made his older brother work for his own car. It wouldn't be fair. The other brother got his own ride, did all the wrenching, and actually has it titled and registered to himself alone. I paid for tires, brakes, etc... to get it roadworthy and safe, as well as still paying for his Ins and fuel. So I did/do alot for him too, but he doesn't get as good a grades... so I am going a step further for the other.

You asked for pics, so I just took some. It's nothing to look at.
The fake Roush roll bar and the stereo head unit are the only non-stock items on the car from what I can tell. It has been sitting in a yard for a couple years, so it is nasty-dirty. I had to wash goo off the glass and air the tires to get what you see here. It'll get a proper bath this weekend.

Thanks for the tips so far! I'll be bugging you more until I figure out the specifics on the SN95s.

Dave

Attachments

• 94 GT 5.0 2-10-09.JPG
    94 GT 5.0 2-10-09.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 388
  • 94 GT Feb 10 09 rear.JPG
    94 GT Feb 10 09 rear.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 106
  • Sponsors (?)

nice find, good foundation with lots of potential........good choice and good luck with it.....maybe teh older boy can help the middle child wrench on it...may become a weekend family thing.....:nice:

like they say familys who wrench together like playing with their nuts...wait thats not right is it?

Oh man I see alot of potential there. Thusfar I think I have heard you mention FR 500s, a cobra bumper, and cobra R hood. Let me just say once thats all on its gonna look SICK. Just a little personal taste, I would throw an s-281 wing on there too. That car is gonna look killer man! And honestly after you get those external mods done, I think the color may turn out to look pretty nice.

I wasn't paying attention under the hood...
I noticed today that there is triangulation bar going from the strut towers to
the firewall, and across from tower to tower.

I assume that this mod is a good one, but it goes right over the intake manifold.
Isn't the stock intake very short? If so, then I don't believe I can fit a Cobra intake
underneath that bar.:(

My first EFI Stang, and I can't even run a fancy intake...
I guess I could remove the bracing. Am I correct in thinking that these cars didn't
come with this brace? Or is it a convertible Stang part?

Another question while I have you here on the subject of body bracing...
Do SN95 convertibles come with subframe connectors from the factory?
I know some unibody verts do... Just curious, so I know if I should plan
on getting a set of subs or if I don't need to bother.

Oh, and if I want a little extra sound for now, without going haywire on
exhaust mods right away... Will an ORP give me a little more volume by
itself, even when keeping the stock muffs for now? Off road use of course! :D

I wasn't paying attention under the hood...
I noticed today that there is triangulation bar going from the strut towers to
the firewall, and across from tower to tower.

I assume that this mod is a good one, but it goes right over the intake manifold.
Isn't the stock intake very short? If so, then I don't believe I can fit a Cobra intake
underneath that bar.:(

My first EFI Stang, and I can't even run a fancy intake...
I guess I could remove the bracing. Am I correct in thinking that these cars didn't
come with this brace? Or is it a convertible Stang part?

Another question while I have you here on the subject of body bracing...
Do SN95 convertibles come with subframe connectors from the factory?
I know some unibody verts do... Just curious, so I know if I should plan
on getting a set of subs or if I don't need to bother.

Oh, and if I want a little extra sound for now, without going haywire on
exhaust mods right away... Will an ORP give me a little more volume by
itself, even when keeping the stock muffs for now? Off road use of course! :D

The strut tower brace came on all ours cars and no, aftermarket intakes will not fit under it. That is why pretty much none of us run them.:D Take it off, you wont notice any difference.

No subframe connectors are not from the factory. Plan on getting some as they are well worth the money. My car felt much better after I got em. Check out maximum motorsports and make sure you get full length WELD IN ones. NOT bolt in.

As for sound, you got i, just throw an offroad pipe on and it will come to life even with stock mufflers. Most of the stock sound restriction comes from the midpipe. So yeah, grab and o/r pipe and enjoy the music!

Yea the strut tower brace is stock.
but my car didn't come with two brilliant little helpers. That would be really great to get the whole family into. Good time with the kids, and it saves them money in the long run. Im not married yet, but when I have a family, It would be ideal to have a son I could work on the stang with. That kind of time is priceless.
And Im starting to wish I got a vert. or at least a sunroof. My pre-stang car had a sunroof. Im really starting to miss it.
Congrats on the new car.

Thanks.

My son was going on today about rims and a body kit.
The funny thing is he has never talked about cars before. He is getting into it finally.
We have a year to play with it before he gets his full license.

On the vert vs sunroof...
The closest I have ever had to a vert till now was a 98 Z28 with T-tops.
I have to say that the T-tops were just as good as the vert, but far less
work, more secure IMO, and less leak potential. Probably less breakdown
potential as well as they aren't motorized. So T-tops would be ultimate IMO.
Something Ford hasn't done in a long time though...

The stereo sux in this thing. Been driving me up a wall today.
At least the sun came out late today, and the top went down!

Thanks for the tip on the ORP.
The car is so quiet that I forget it has a V8... I want a car that won't let me forget it!

I saw a pic today of a car with a tower brace and a tall intake.
Must have been an aftermarket brace... The front bar was bent a bit
in such a way that it went in front of the intake upper, rather than
over it like the stock bracing.

Any idea on who makes the tower brace like that?

Nice pickup! Enjoy! If he's 15 now, he's just due to get the bug--especially if you put one under his nose.

You're doing the right thing by making your boys earn their nice rides. My dad didn't, and I treated my first car that he GAVE me (68 GT Fastback) like crap.

My oldest (21 now), drove a beater through HS. I was a total jerk (of course, he was a straight C student), and didn't give him anything. He now drives an 06 Mustang, that he treats like it's made of pure gold, because he bought it himself. He's not near the car nut his dad is, but he's got a serious Mustang bug.

Enjoy the time in the garage. Let him pick the mods. Even if you don't like them!

Heck, my oldest boy got 'the bug' at 15 months old!:D
attachment.php

Mine did too at that age. Problem is, somehow or another the bug went mutant. He spent about 5 years dreaming about Ford Explorers?!?:eek:

My 15 y/o daughter, though, is a different story. First car show I took her to, she walked past 50 Mustangs, to the 67 GT 500, and said "Dad, I like this one". Then she saw the letters on the back (S-H-E-L-B-Y), and said "Dad, look, it has my name on it!". She thinks because her name is Shelby, her first car should be a Shelby. What was I thinking?

I saw a pic today of a car with a tower brace and a tall intake.
Must have been an aftermarket brace... The front bar was bent a bit
in such a way that it went in front of the intake upper, rather than
over it like the stock bracing.

Any idea on who makes the tower brace like that?

Yeah, its just an aftermarket one. As far as I know pretty much any aftermarket ones will fit above an aftermarket intake. Can't say for sure though. Put it this way. So many of us don't have them because they don't really matter.

I always thought t-tops went well with a mullet..but dont hate me - just my perspective. The car has a lot of potential good luck wit hit!

p.s. I had a newer Z28 too and the dealer told me the t-tops were worth more but I requested a hard-top - just preference tho. Older stangs had t-tops but I thought it took away from the geometry of the car. :shrug:

On the strut brace?
"The strut tower brace came on all ours cars and no, aftermarket intakes will not fit under it. That is why pretty much none of us run them"

True but I cut and re-welded mine and u can too.

I would recommend the brace, esp with no subframes if you start making power. Take it off, beat on it and see how hard it is to get it to line back up.

Mustang = pretzel car. I bought an Edelbrock tie bar to clear the performer intake, but I think all the aftermarket ones will clear pretty much anything.

Looks like a great start!

See, now you done it...
Now I have to ask if you have pics of the modded brace!:p

Oh, and there was a time... many, many years ago, that this pony car
lovin' dude had a mullet! Just don't tell anyone.:nono:
We all did stupid stuff in high school.

LOL. Hey thanks for not gettin mad at my comment. :D I think I had a trace of one too lol. Now.. that welded brace...ok, I'll post up a pic if some1 here will send me a coupla buck$ to have Rick 91GT weld it perty for me, lol. He's been beating me up over that lol. Did I mention I like to chew straw!!:D