I think my engine is TOAST! H/G? *vid*

Boss 351

Here sthhhhhhhheeeve take a picthh of my man flowe
Jul 13, 2003
Canada
Well the engine has 150,000 miles, all original but previous owner slapped on a 6psi supercharger and I'm sure he didn't baby it.

I know plug #4 is fouled with oil after 500 or so miles. But recently it's been pretty sluggish (never was a beast but it's not getting better).

Engine does NOT overheat, has a 160 thermostat and the needle never went above "C", maybe 1/16th to 1/8 while stuck in traffic.

It does make "clunking" sounds when it's turned off though :shrug: "click click" coming from the top-rear of the engine as it seems. Normally like a real hot engine would sound like once shut off?

Oil doesn't show signs of water, but I do see some air bubbles when I check it soon after the engine ran. I'm going to know for sure if the oil isn't going "up" today.

Coolant is green, no signs of oil in it. But normally when you hit the throttle with the radiator cap off, the water goes lower... Mine doesn't! Seems like the head gasket is allowing the compression to get into a water jacket?

See vid: YouTube - ‪20110701_103104.mov‬‏

I think I'm going to change long block before my long road trip in July (roughly 7 hours of road one way).

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Depending on how severe a head gasket us blown, you'll push water out of the radiator with the cap off. Are you noticing the coolant level dropping with runtime?

If the plug is oil fouling, I wouldn't suspect a head gasket. Like mustang5l5 said. Start on #4 and do a compression test.