i think this is spark knock...do you agree?

Foxfan88

My Grandpa has great wood.
Sep 13, 2004
Miami, Ok
Ok my car ticks under a load, like when i give it some gas. But when the car is cool and i baby it its ok. Only pings when i start going fast.
Well yesterday i was hanging out with my friend, he had his moms crown vic, we went and had some fun.

Well this has happened before, but when i "abuse" or just really hard on my car (trying to do burnouts) it starts KNOCKING(like an actual knock) like hard core, its always there, really loud, it diminishes as your easier on the car and the engine cools.

So is this spark knock, since the hot engine will ignite the gas easier before the spark? I have 89 octane in now. I dont have a timing light, would buying one be wise? How useful are they later on?

BTW, the vic pulled a massive donut, they are pretty damn powerful.

ALSO, my temp guage doesnt work, so i cant tell... well how hot does the motor get, mines gets to where you can feel the heat off of it, like if you were cold it could warm you.

Is it just v8s get hot??? since they are bigger...

• Sponsors (?)

Spark knock will sound like BB's rattling in a metal can. If its more of a knock like hitting the side of the engine with a hammer you have other problems. If it were mine I would not drive it till its fixed. That engine could be fixed now, but if you drive it till it quits, you will likely need a whole new engine. I wont drive an old car without a temp guage either. They are too cheap and easy to install.