I Want To Be Like Groverdill. Give Me Your Thoughts

• Sponsors (?)

I change my vote to the '88.

More stock HP, plus mods. If you are going to get stuck with an AOD, might as get one that will move.

Plus we all know 1988 was the best year for Mustangs ever.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm with Nic...you know my preference.

Both cars are cool and have curb appeal and "unique" factors. But the 86's have more aesthetically pleasing lines to me. The interior,the body lines(without the aero nose-just looks cleaner to me),the color is also better imo. If it truly is going to just be a dd and you're not concerned about the performance(much-we all know stock sucks)? Then I wouldn't worry or value the extra gt40 power mods. Also the brakes aren't much different either...they both just suck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
so to add to my dilemna,, the guy selling the maroon car is very responisve. I asked him about the AOD- he has receipts from 3 years ago that the AOD was rebuild by Power by the Hour here in Boynton beach for $2200. That shop does high end mustang work.. .

More info on the blue car the guy who is selling it owns 7 mustangs and a fabrication shop and I asked him if it had subframe connectors and he went and installed them on the car today. However, asked him why the smog pump is bypassed- he said it is locked up.. the cats are still on the car so that is not a good thing Wondering why in the 6 months he's owned it he didnt simply spend $30 for a new somg pump and throw it on. I've got my old one I can put on no problem but that's somewhat of a red flag.

Leaning a little towards the 88 due to the history and maintence of each car. even though it has a slight oil leak- may be the pan vs. the blue car not a leak that I can tell I can always change out rims on the maroon car later

It will come down to price...

and today I found this.. but not sure how happy I would be with this as a DD.. a lot of car for the money but the paint needs to be redone

https://spacecoast.craigslist.org/cto/6160693791.html

so to add to my dilemna,, the guy selling the maroon car is very responisve. I asked him about the AOD- he has receipts from 3 years ago that the AOD was rebuild by Power by the Hour here in Boynton beach for $2200. That shop does high end mustang work.. .

More info on the blue car the guy who is selling it owns 7 mustangs and a fabrication shop and I asked him if it had subframe connectors and he went and installed them on the car today. However, asked him why the smog pump is bypassed- he said it is locked up.. the cats are still on the car so that is not a good thing Wondering why in the 6 months he's owned it he didnt simply spend $30 for a new somg pump and throw it on. I've got my old one I can put on no problem but that's somewhat of a red flag.

Leaning a little towards the 88 due to the history and maintence of each car. even though it has a slight oil leak- may be the pan vs. the blue car not a leak that I can tell I can always change out rims on the maroon car later

It will come down to price...

and today I found this.. but not sure how happy I would be with this as a DD.. a lot of car for the money but the paint needs to be redone

https://spacecoast.craigslist.org/cto/6160693791.html
I do agree the 88 is the better car, I just want a 4eye. The craigslist car has a c4, which is awesome for go fast, but not fun driving at highway speeds. I swapped a built c4 to replace my blown stock AOD, 3weeks later I swapped a 3550 5speed in it.

The smog pump situation absolutely would not deter me. I doubt the car has had more than a few hundred miles in that timeframe. Sounds like it was a 5 minute fix just so he could tool around in it.

Don't let the engine or the perceived issues w/ a set of cats deter you from the fact that the 4 eye version of the car is the prettier of the two,...Aeronose is equivalent to loss of identity,...i.e what is the difference between the 5 years of fox Mustang that followed. 85/86 cars are exclusive to that style and they are few and far in that condition. Buy the blue car.

Reactions: 2 users
The smog pump situation absolutely would not deter me. I doubt the car has had more than a few hundred miles in that timeframe. Sounds like it was a 5 minute fix just so he could tool around in it.

I would agree. I had cats, and a smog pump on my car with the pulley bypassed for 5-6 years. Only a few hundred miles driven. Reason was too lazy to go buy 4 belts, test fit, and return the rest. Was just easier to do nothing

Last edited:
thanks guys.

had another conversation with the owner of the maroon car as to why the stereo doesn't work- he said may be a loose wire but any stereo shop would fix it easy...lol. Same for the alarm system- does it work- his response was he didnt think so and to ask a guy I know who owns a shop that worked on the car. He said its a $1000 system ,, but only turns on- no sound.. Could be a loose wire- could be a blown head unit or amplifier...

I mean I get it- he isnt a car guy and has people do the work for him, but when someone is looking to buy a car it would be nice if the owner could answer questions and not defer you to other people.

Now I am thinking- have laying around the MM 87-93 brake upgrade kit with slotted rotors, SS hoses, SS caliper bushings and hawk pads. I could upgrade the 86 brakes to 87-93 by adding ( yes I am keeping it 4 lugs as I love Weld Draglites)

• 87 spindles- gotta figure those must be dirt cheap. any body got a set laying around?
  • new inner and outer bearings and seals
  • 87 60 MM calipers
  • 87 struts ( blues or bilsteins if I can find them cheap enough) or spacer to keep the existing struts if still good
  • Not sure if I can keep the existing Master Cylinder
  • Maybe throw in a set of H&R or Steeda springs

Like I said, I am already spending money on a car I haven't bought yet. What is wrong with us?

Reactions: 1 users