• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-

I6 To V8 Conversion

  • Thread starter Thread starter Romrellcm
  • Start date Start date Feb 15, 2017
R

Romrellcm

New Member
Feb 9, 2017
6
0
1
Feb 15, 2017
#1
  • Feb 15, 2017
  • #1
Does anyone on here have experience with converting an I6 over to a V8 ? I have done most all the reaserch and know what I need to get done but I'm getting held up on the front suspension. There are kits on cj pony for front suspension for I6 or V8 and I'm wondering if I buy the V8 suspension parts will they still link up to the stock mounts the I6 parts linked up to ?
 

65-Fstbk

15 Year Member
May 20, 2007
316
26
49
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Feb 19, 2017
#2
  • Feb 19, 2017
  • #2
I'm not too clear on your intent here...are you thinking of leaving some of the I6 pcs in there. I did an I6 to V8 swap on my 65 FB and replaced the following parts:

Front spindles - 4 lug to 5 lug (I used the Granada spindles)
drum brakes converted to disc so all the drum related items went
dual reservoir master cylinder
new lower control arms
upper control arms were rebuilt and klaus arning drop done
drag link (different from I6 I think)
tie rods inner and outer
idler arm (different from I6)
idler arm bracket
1 1/8" heavy sway bar
620 coils
new spring perches
also had the steering box rebuilt to a quick ratio version
you are basically gutting it and replacing with new parts for the V8
don't forget the rear end as you'll need 5 lug and heavier 8 or 9 inch rear
driveshaft
transmission

When you start tearing it down there's really not a lot to save from the I6. May as well order new, correct parts.
 

horse sence

15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
12,427
8,379
233
Wile Coyote's stunt double
Feb 19, 2017
#3
  • Feb 19, 2017
  • #3
Romrellcm said:
Does anyone on here have experience with converting an I6 over to a V8 ? I have done most all the reaserch and know what I need to get done but I'm getting held up on the front suspension. There are kits on cj pony for front suspension for I6 or V8 and I'm wondering if I buy the V8 suspension parts will they still link up to the stock mounts the I6 parts linked up to ?
Click to expand...
What year is the car ?
 
G

GMBNO

New Member
Feb 28, 2017
2
0
1
Feb 28, 2017
#4
  • Feb 28, 2017
  • #4
I'm in the same boat but leaning towards a mustang ii front end.. my logic is if I need to replace everything anyway since I'm converting might as well get a full set up disc to disc
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

M
3d scans of 67-68 engine bay?
  • Margrave30
  • Jul 27, 2026
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Replies
1
Views
87
Classic Mustang Specific Tech Jul 27, 2026
Noobz347
D
Yet another v8 swap
  • dulcimerbob
  • Sep 19, 2026
  • 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech
  • 2 3 4
Replies
71
Views
1K
1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech Tuesday at 1:04 AM
LILCBRA
S
65 Coupe I6 Auto to 302 EFI 5 Speed Swap
  • Scuderia
  • Feb 3, 2025
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
14
Views
2K
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Sep 9, 2025
Noobz347
P
I need definitive heater valve and AC expansion valve answers
  • PurAU
  • Sep 26, 2026
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
157
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Oct 1, 2026
GypsyR
G
Fox Brake pedal too stiff
  • keel
  • Sep 21, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
23
Views
436
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 26, 2026
General karthief
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?