ID 390

• Sponsors (?)

Ford used the same blocks and in many cases heads in both applications. The late 60's intermediate cars (66-70 Mustang/Fairlane,etc) got a 14 bolt exhaust pattern unique to them (16 in the case of the 428CJ heads) So that would be a giveaway, but after 40 years, anyone could have changed all that long since it left the factory (I did for one with a 67 GT 390 into a 70 F100) $100 isn't a bad price for any 390, provided the all the parts are serviceable,

Well, in my mind I had been planning a 4xx inch W platform, but for the money, I could go big block as well, especially as I am not concerned about it being original. I know there are some differences between auto and truck applications, and that is my concern. I have heard there is a lot of good info of the FE forum, I just haven't really looked into any of it until today. A 390 69 Cougar that's actually a 450+ plant might be fun to drive, especially with a stick. Would a Tremec still hold up to that much motor?

Well, in my mind I had been planning a 4xx inch W platform, but for the money, I could go big block as well, especially as I am not concerned about it being original. I know there are some differences between auto and truck applications, and that is my concern. I have heard there is a lot of good info of the FE forum, I just haven't really looked into any of it until today. A 390 69 Cougar that's actually a 450+ plant might be fun to drive, especially with a stick. Would a Tremec still hold up to that much motor?

The Tremec has been used for years with big Ford engines.

The heads need the Mustang/Cougar pattern for anything stock, but some of the Mustang/Cougar headers will fit the big car pattern, too.

6654sjs_b.jpg

The tricky part here is if you've got a small block car, a stroker Windsor will be far more cost effective. To swap in an FE in a small block car, you have to change mounts (which are 3 piece per side with the FE) transmission and transmission cross member. All that will cost you another couple hundred dollars at a minimum, if you don't have the stuff already (not including the transmission) If you've got a large budget, then that's not a problem.