Identifying PI intake?

apats77

May 2, 2011
Watertown, MA
Two weeks after buying this intake on ebay it gets delivered to my house. It doesnt look like a PI intake......

2011-07-02181829.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

The aluminum crossover is a good indication that it's a PI but doesn't mean that it actualy is since all replacement PI/NPI intakes had the crossover.

Here's a side-by-side (PI on the left)

IMG_0429.jpg

IMG_0430.jpg

Yours looks like a PI to me.

ok well judging guy the way my runners look it seems to be a NPI with alum cross. But the underside on both of yours seems to have a hole running the full length. mine is sealed at both ends.

Where are the part numbers located on these. I cant find anything

That's a PI intake. The NPI intake runner holes are round.

Also, the front-most runner on the PI intake goes to the number 1 cylinder, whereas the front-most one on the NPI intake goes to the number 5 cylinder (as shown in the pic posted by Nightfire). Your front-most runner goes to the number 1 cylinder, also confirming it is a PI intake.

As for the hole through the the center of the runners on the bottom, Dorman makes a PI intake manifold that is a direct replacement for the later model 4.6s and their's doesnt have a hole through the center either. Problably isnt a factory manifold, most likely aftermarket.

yup you are most certainly correct. it is a dorman intake.

I hate when you think you are buying the right thing off ebay come to find out its not it at all. Picture is incorrect and it was listed as a Ford OEM PI intake.

Whats the word on these Dorman PI's?

do the dorman gaskets even work on NPI heads?

I still am not sure that this is a PI intake. the runners are no bigger then stock and it goes just as deep as the stock NPI I currently have.

But according to sneaky98GT the ports are correct for a PI intake as well as the first runner feeds #1 cylinder.

But dormans NPI intake doesnt have a "hole" going through the bottom, but the PI one they make does have it.....

:shrug::notnice:

I must first state that I mis-spoke earlier about which cylinder the first runner goes to. I forgot that 1-4 is the passenger side, while 5-8 is the driver side. So while what I was trying to say is still correct, the first runner on the PI intake goes to the #5 cylinder (driver side) while the first runner on the NPI goes to the #1 cylinder (passenger side).

Here's a picture of an NPI intake:

intake_ports_teardrop.jpg

Here's a picture of a PI intake:

intake_ports_pi.jpg

Idk, man. They look really similar to the PI ports (much more so than they look like NPI ports anyway), but they don't look exactly the same to me. Almost seems as if it was ported or something like that.

i lose, its a replacement for a 96-2000 NPI

Dorman Products - 615-178

The manifold you've got is not the 615-178, it's the 615-175.

In the pictures for each one, you can clearly see that the 1st runner on the 615-178 feeds the #5 cylinder and the runner on the 615-175 feeds the #1 cylinder (as pictured in your pics as well).

The runner locations and inlet shapes pretty much confirm that you've got a PI intake.

indeed yours is the dorman replacement, however it is for the 99-01 4.6. but were the failure is that it doesnt have the deep intake runners that help produce the extra torque and horsepower. (its not the shape or size of the ports, its the longer runner size that gets the job done, it helps produce more velocity). i would set it aside and eat your lose and look some more. try the salvage yard look for mustang 2002+(only because of the aluminum x-over), crown vic and grand mrquis 2002+. i can usually pick em up for $35-$100

You've got the PI replacement From Dorman. It is a direct OEM replacement. You won't notice a change in horsepower from stock to the one you've got. Did the swap myself, and didn't notice a change at all.
Correct me if I am wrong, but the runners for the intakes on the 2005+ have shorter runners, thus increasing throttle response and more consistantcy in air direction.
Is it even possible to put a Non-PI intake on a 99-04 GT Mustang? Does not the PI intake swap require some kind of gasket sealant?