idle fluctuations

Zooted_plus

Jan 14, 2003
Dublin, CA
When idling at a stop light for any period of time, sometimes my idle starts to fluctuate from about 650 to 750/800, then back down. It gets to the point where the engine wants to die. How do I get it smoothed out? play around with the mixture screws?

• Sponsors (?)

Its only when I'm idling, re adjusted the mixture screws today, made sure they are turned out an equal # of turns on each side. Still fluctuating. The other problem I'm having is with my coolant temp gauge... so I don't even know what kind of water temp I'm running at the moment.

Zooted_plus said:
When idling at a stop light for any period of time, sometimes my idle starts to fluctuate from about 650 to 750/800, then back down. It gets to the point where the engine wants to die. How do I get it smoothed out? play around with the mixture screws?

Make absolutely sure your Holley float levels are set correctly at the bottom of the sight glass/port. Start with low float level and move up to the sight glass/port. You'll need a vaccuum guage or a tach/dwell unit to adjust the mixtures. Idle down then close mixtures evenly until the engine starts leaning out. Reverse direction on the idle mixtures (open) until rpm just tops out and no more, else until engine vacuum increases and just tops out and no more.

When opening or closing mixtures, know how many turns each is open. The end result is to have the mixtures just at max rpm/max vaccuum and equally open.