IDLE PROBLEM - FIXED

White Wolf

Dec 10, 2018
Las Vegas NV
I posted before on an Idle problem with my modified 2013 V6. Went on for 2 weeks. Spent over 100 dollars and a lot of time on this and that. Chasing down every possible answer. Listening to others advice etc. Thank you all for that.

I finally read about something called IDLE RELEARN. Sounded like a complete waste of time. But I had tried almost everything else. So the other morning I went out early and followed these instructions to the letter. To my shock it solved the problem that day at least by 50%. I drove it slow and easy for 30 miles as instructed.

The next day I did the entire relearn OVER and drove it another 15 miles or so. Improved another 25%.

This morning I took it out, random errands over the course of 25 minutes. Not one idle issue. Ran as smooth as it had prior. I even took it down HARD from 30mph to stop and it idled down quick as before. Definitely worth doing a couple of times if you had my same issues. I am a believer.

Follow these steps to complete an Idle Relearn:

1. With vehicle at a complete stop, set the parking brake.
  2. Put gearshift in "P" (Park), turn off all accessories.
  3. Run the engine until it reaches normal operating temperature.
  4. Allow engine to idle for at least one minute.
  5. Turn the air conditioning on and allow the engine to idle for at least one minute.
  6. Release the parking break. With your foot on the brake pedal and the A/C still on, put the vehicle in "D" (Drive) and allow the engine to idle for at least one minute.
  7. Drive the vehicle to complete the relearning process. Just make sure you drive easy for the first 30 miles, so the PCM can re-learn and adapt to your driving style.

fullsizeoutput_1514.jpeg

• Sponsors (?)

With the 6MT, I wonder how I would re-create the:

With your foot on the brake pedal and the A/C still on, put the vehicle in "D" (Drive) and allow the engine to idle for at least one minute.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could do this? Obviously, I can't put it in gear and hold the brake as it would stall. Any and all suggestions and information is greatly appreciated.