Idle probs. W/ 228*/232* @.050" cam...500-600rpm..

ozanracing

Nov 28, 2006
Trying to get this thing to settle down and idle right, At first start (cold) It will rev yp to 3500-3800rpm and then surge down low to stalling. After it gets warm it will drop down to a strady 700-800prm...But then it slowly falls off to 500-600rpm and makes a knocking sound. Like when you drive a 4cyl car at like 20 mph and put it in 3rd gear... That's normal right? (not tha fact the idle is all wacked out, but that it makes that knocking clanking noise when it revs to low)

• Sponsors (?)

I tried to get it to 900-1000...But it wants to go down lower...And then starts to shake and make those sounds that make me cringe...I forgot to lock in the timing by pulling the SPOUT so I'll do that next time..

You guys with idle problems could same a lot of time chasing your tails if you would go through the Surging Idle Checklist. Over 50 different people contributed information to it. The first post has all the fixes, and steps through the how to find and fix you idle problems without spending a lot of time and money. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions. You can post questions to that sticky and have your name and idle problem recognized. The guys with original problems and fixes get their posts added to the main fix.

Have you gone through all the steps in the sticky?

No not all, but like I said I forgot to pull the spout when mechanicaly adjusting the idle. I think I will be able to fix the odd-idle, but my main question was is the sound/vibration when the motor chugs down to 500rpm notmal with a cam?