Idle reset?

fastfox90

Dec 12, 2009
indianapolis
Just did a h/c/i/ swap gt40 heads, explorer intake and a anderson n41 cam. 30# injectors and maf ect. car runs great, pulls hard. How ever when first started it will surge for 5 to 15 seconds then go to its normal idle. I read another post on here with simular issue with his trick flow swap. but I have no driveabalty problems. I think i rember reading you can reset idle by un pluging, runing ,then pluging in the iac? any one know if this is true?

• Sponsors (?)

I'm having the same problem you are and would like to know where to start to.

I did the base idle reset but did not help any but might be worth the try.

Clear the computer's idle memory by disconnecting the battery for 20+ minutes.

-Disconnect the Idle Air Bypass solenoid
-Reconnect battery
-Start engine and set idle speed to desired RPM with idle screw on throttle body
-Turn off engine and reconnect the air bypass solenoid
-Set TPS voltage between 0.90 - 0.95 volts with a digital volt meter
-Start engine and let it idle for 2 minutes with no accessories on.
-Turn off engine for two minutes
-Start engine again and run for 2 minutes with every accessory turned on.
-Turn engine off again.

I'm having the same problem you are and would like to know where to start to.

I did the base idle reset but did not help any but might be worth the try.

Clear the computer's idle memory by disconnecting the battery for 20+ minutes.

-Disconnect the Idle Air Bypass solenoid
-Reconnect battery
-Start engine and set idle speed to desired RPM with idle screw on throttle body
-Turn off engine and reconnect the air bypass solenoid
-Set TPS voltage between 0.90 - 0.95 volts with a digital volt meter
-Start engine and let it idle for 2 minutes with no accessories on.
-Turn off engine for two minutes
-Start engine again and run for 2 minutes with every accessory turned on.
-Turn engine off again.

That's the procedure, except setting tps is not necessary. Any voltage value between 0.5-1.1 is fine. Chasing a tight range is not necessary the way the computer uses the tps.

I have have learned whenever you make idle rpm changes or idle reset with all the so called correct procedures, you should wait 2 or three days for the eec iv to wake up and allow the changes to take place, i have a real stubborn computer in my car, it doesn't like to be told what to do right away, but if all you have is a 5 to 15 second surge at start up after all those add on's consider yourself lucky.

See the "Surging Idle Checklist for help with all your idle/stall problems.

The quick and easy way to dump the codes is in there too, and all you need to do it is a paper clip! The first two posts contain all the updates to the fixes. At last count there were 24 possible causes and fixes for surging idle/stall problems. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions.