Idle RPM?

• Sponsors (?)

Did you take the needle off for some reason or does it just seem like the tach is a little off? Hook up a OBDII scanner that'll read the data streams - that will tell you what it's actually idling at as opposed to what it theoretically should be idling at.

My '96 idles right around 650 warmed up for what it's worth and the tach tracks pretty well with the engine speed reported by the computer. I think 650 is the target RPM for just about all 4.6s.

I put the new Speedhut overlays in but I didn't remove the needles. However, the dials had a little bit of play before I lined them up and taped them down.

I think it's just reading like 200 RPMS higher than it really is due to the way the dials are sitting. Not really a concern but I was curious. I'm going to get a shift light eventually so I don't really need to worry about precision beyond 200RPMs.

I'll check it again later when I am 100% sure the car is completely warmed up.

Sonic04GT:

You can use a salad fork to raise the needle base up on the post JUST A LITTLE BIT. Of course, if you lift the needle up too much, it will pop off the stem. Take your time and ease the needle(s) up a little at a time.

HTH,

Chris

Sonic04GT:

You can use a salad fork to raise the needle base up on the post JUST A LITTLE BIT. Of course, if you lift the needle up too much, it will pop off the stem. Take your time and ease the needle(s) up a little at a time.

HTH,

Chris

I did raise them up a little bit because they were dragging on the dials and obviously wouldn't function correctly. They all move freely now but the tach is maybe 150-200 RPMs off and the speedometer about 2mph off. I guess it'll just help me drive more conservatively haha