If Having A 4bbl Carb Makes You A Hillbilly,........

CarMichael Angelo

my rearend will smell so minty fresh,
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
How red will my neck be when I have 8 barrels?

mustangbuild474.jpg

mustangbuild475.jpg

The first "test" carb showed up today. :banana:

I wanted to see first hand how tall these damn things are, and how the bore spacing will transpose over the intake ports in the heads. These things are pretty big,...but four of the exact same pieces have been ran on 289's, and 302's for decades, so I'm sure I'll find a way to make em work.

One things for sure,...they are gonna stick all kinds of out of the hood, as they are slightly wider than the bore spacing, so I'll have to have a pretty decent "riser" to allow me to transition the port smoothly. As you can see,..they are a little over 7" tall,...and I'm thinking I'm gonna have to have a 1.750-2.00" riser to allow the slight bend from the wider throttle bores.
That's 9" sticking above the deck of the intake mating surface. Probably see the entire aluminum velocity stack hanging out of the hood.

For all of the bad rap they get, they are amazing simple. A 48mm bore that is "choked" down to 37mm w/ a drop in insert. Adjustable air bleeds, and tunable main jets are all accessed through the top of the carburetor w/o ever having to open the "wet" parts of the carb.

This dude cost 299.00 shipped. While it looks like a Weber, it's not. It is a Chinese EMPI. A Blatant Weber clone. Not sure how they got away w/o copyright infringement,....but today,...not my worry.
All I know is EMPI has been making this carburetor for years for the VeeDub guys,...so they must not be that bad.
As an addition,....I've read that the Weber 48IDA is now made in Spain, and is not w/o it's own production and quality issues, but still costs an additional 240.00 ea.
Not willing to spend an additional 1000.00 just to say those 8 holes are true Webers.

Hopefully, it's ok,...because by the time this thing runs,...it'll be 2013 easy

I'll buy another soon, and the fabrication will begin.
nanadance.gif

• Sponsors (?)

Who cares what they think. Mine is so sunburnt right now its almost purple. And I drive a silly little mod motor now.

Are there any reviews on the Chinee versions?
Sure there is,.....Just ask the guys over on the GT-40, and Cobra forums. :rolleyes:

Inglese buys them direct from EMPI, and offers them as a cheaper alternative to a full on Weber setup.

NG1701_600.jpg

This system pictured sells for,.....ahem,....er,....$4306.11. Those are Powder coated Empi's, in the pic.
Good enough for them,...good enough for me.

Reactions: 1 user
yes a hillbilly for sure!!! ..........................................j/k of course not especially with some nice big stacks like that!!!!! only thing better would be nice big rack lol i am shocked at the price tho yikes!

yes a hillbilly for sure!!! ..........................................j/k of course not especially with some nice big stacks like that!!!!! only thing better would be nice big rack lol i am shocked at the price tho yikes!

all I heard was big rack, yet you provide no pictures... post fail :nono:

so you're going to leave them sticking out of the hood?

What would you expect from a hillbilly :shrug:

The beauty of Webers is that they can be tuned to be whatever CFM you want them to be by ventury restriction tubes that fit down into the throat. They're literally the last fuel induction setup you'll ever need. You can run that same setup on a 289 or a big block.

And you thought you had troubles selling the car before......................
Ya really think so? I'd agree w/ you if the system is anything but perfect. I figure given that I won't accept a poor running engine after spending 2 k on the induction, it wont.
Given that the retail price of a system is double that, I'm not getting hurt when/if it comes time to sell it. I think this'll be my last hurrah,... The amount of money required to build it is just not there anymore, so if I'm ever gonna do it, it's gotta be This one.

so you're going to leave them sticking out of the hood?​
No, I can't do that and risk getting caught out in the rain, I'm trying to come up w/ a dzus fastened air box to cover them in the bad weather.

Ya really think so? I'd agree w/ you if the system is anything but perfect. I figure given that I won't accept a poor running engine after spending 2 k on the induction, it wont.
Given that the retail price of a system is double that, I'm not getting hurt when/if it comes time to sell it. I think this'll be my last hurrah,... The amount of money required to build it is just not there anymore, so if I'm ever gonna do it, it's gotta be This one.

Based on the fact most folks nowadays do not know how to do even simple carb adjustments, or they "think" they know how to adjust a carb and they would get it wrong. A Weber set up while cool, would be to intimidating for most folks. In the back of their mind they would be wondering how the hell they are going to deal with this thing if there is a problem. Even if the set up is spot on, the perception could be that it is not user friendly. Most car guys like to tinker with the vehicle themselves and this carb choice further limits the number of people who are the "can do" type.

Dammit, that is going to be so friggin cool. Cut a hole in that hood, and then hang the sheetmetal from a tree in your front yard as if it's a head on a pike. Too many Mustang guys are afraid to have engine parts poking through the hood and it's a damn shame IMO!

Dammit, that is going to be so friggin cool. Cut a hole in that hood, and then hang the sheetmetal from a tree in your front yard as if it's a head on a pike. Too many Mustang guys are afraid to have engine parts poking through the hood and it's a damn shame IMO!

Truth be told I'm not doing this for resale anyway.
I'm doing it because I want to. I've always wanted to. I just have always have taken the weiner's way out for whatever reason...1. it's too complicated to tune, 2. it's too hard to build,..and 3., it's too expensive to buy. Well,...for me at this stage,...it's only one of the above.
(and two pro's beats one con every day) :rolleyes:

As far as resale is concerned, if I get a bug in my ass to sell it after I get system running, and I get a milk toast that is intimidated by what he sees, then I'll show him a picture of the old setup that I'll keep just in case" you are looking for something less exotic" so that I'll have both bases covered.:nice:

And yes, now that I'm back on my computer instead of my stupid iphone where it's way more easy to reply....

Hell yeah I'm hanging those stacks outta two oval cuts in my hood.:banana:

What kind of HOMO would hide Webers anyways?:nonono:

So, you think this fancy carb setup is better compared to a nice, modern EFI system? I think I'll start a new thread to get everyone's opinion.

I'm excited to see how you address the 'velocity stack through the hood while driving in the rain' deal.

So, you think this fancy carb setup is better compared to a nice, modern EFI system? I think I'll start a new thread to get everyone's opinion.

I'm excited to see how you address the 'velocity stack through the hood while driving in the rain' deal.
You're kidding,.......right?

Scott, Scott, Scott................:nonono:
Hmmm,....Let me bounce your question back at you to make sure I'm not misinterpreting what it is you're asking.

Do I think having one of the most coveted carbureted induction systems ( when asking pro carburetor people) is better to have when compared to a mundane, no frills efi system (even when comparing laptop programmable, or even self teaching efi systems like Holley's Avenger) ???

Do I answer that with two, or three "R"'s? ..........i.e. DURR,.....or DURRR

I would ask you why are you painting the underside of your car when the only person that'll ever see it is you, or someone adventurous enough to lie down in the parking lot where it'll be parked when you're at a show?

(read between the lines on that one, and you'll know what I'm talking about.)

A multi throttlebody EFI system is nothing that will even compare financially to what I'm doing,...more like three times my expense,...and while I would "Prefer" to have that to the complex carb system I'm building,....I have to look at it this way......

I coulda just converted the car over to 4 eye, and got myself some Chinese tail lights instead :shrug: .