Ignition And Starting Trouble

BVangro500

Apr 16, 2017
Hey everyone, I'm new to the site and would love some help if anyone is willing. I bought a 91 gt in December and have had trouble starting it since. Check engine gives me a 212 code (grounded spout) and I cannot figure out how to fix it. Before realizing this is most likely my problem I replaced the battery, spark plugs, coil, solenoid, ignition switch, tfi, and then finally the distributor...(thinking it was a faulty pip sensor) ...I'm pretty sure I had the distributor lined up correctly, I turned the crank to tdc and lined the 1st plug to the rotor position on the distributor...anyway I checked all my grounds and think they should be ok...So my next assumption is to figure out this Spout Connector Ground anyone have an idea on how to check or fix this issue? I'm not a mechanic by any means but I'm really excited to learn...I'd be happy to post pics if that would help! Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Also should mention the fuel pump primes when I turn the key but upon starting the car backfires a little like my timing is off...Doesn't really help with the spout in or out...

I've already pulled the codes the 212 is the only one that shows and I've gone through the ignition start checklist, guess I need to do every step in order...I guess my main question is has anyone delt with this code before? All my other research doesn't seem to pull up much on the topic? Could this code be the reason it's not starting or is it most likely a combination of other things?

Unless there is some monkey business with the computer, all EFI Mustangs between 86 and 93 used 2 digit codes. The 94 and later used 3 digit codes and won't work properly in the stock 91 computer harness...

Get one of these code readers, it will eliminate the problems of reading the codes.

Reader/dp/B000EW0KHW Equus - Digital Ford Code Reader 3145.
Or for a nicer scanner see www.midwayautosupply.com/Equus-Digital-Ford-Code-It has a 3 digit LCD display so that you don’t have to count flashes or beeps.. Cost is $22-$36.
Order it at Walmart for a better price and free shipping.

41P3GQVDSHL._SS270_.jpg

Oh ok I'll pick one up...I tried to do the paperclip trick and the flashes I got from the light blinking seemed to give me 212...I'll pick up that reader and check it out! Thanks for the help!