Ignition Power

Onequik89

Oct 17, 2013
I have looked on this forum for a while now getting some great advice along the way. I have not been able to find the answer to my latest question and hoping someone can help me out. I have an 89 that I am finishing up doing 331 with a Vortech and a C4. The car came with a T5 transmission. Since I now have an automatic, i am having to redo the neutral safety switch.

Everything I have found online tell me to cut the plug with the 4 wires off and hook up the red/blue to the white/pink and not do anything with the other 2 wires. When i hook this up the key functions like it should by when you turn it to the accessory position everything lights up and pumps kick on and when you turn the key to crank the motor turns over. The problem with having it hooked up like that is there is no power going to my distributor so I have no spark.

When I hook up the white/pink to the red/green, when I turn the key to the accessory position, everything lights up and the car will turn over and actually crank in the accessory position. The problem with that is that the starter continues to try and turn the motor over with the motor running and putting a tremedous load on my electrical system.

I know the forth wire is the wire for my reverse lights to come on and off.

What is the proper way to hook up the red/blue, white/pink, and red/green for the car to crank with the key all the way forward and only power everything up in the accessory position like it should?

Thanks in advance,
Derrick

• Sponsors (?)

You posted a TECH question in Talk. This limits your chances of getting some really good advice, since most guys aren't looking for Tech stuff in the Talk forum.

My advice to you is to twofold:
1.) Send a PM to one of the moderators and have your thread moved to 5.0 Tech
2.) Next time you start a thread, think about where it goes. If you are new to Stangnet, please read the terms of service and give extra thought to where your new thread belongs. There is some help in the text below to help you find the best place to start your thread.

General tech problems go in 5.0 Tech. Tech is for suspension, electrical, brakes, body, engine repair and general troubleshooting on the computer & trouble codes

Tall tales about your 5.0 Mustang, pictures of your 5.0 Mustang project and stories about your last trip to the race track go in 5.0 Talk.

Do this and you'll get the best answers quicker and not get lost in the maze of posts about everything but the type of problem you are having.

Having said that, here’s some help…

Typical start circuit...
Diagram courtesy of Tmoss & Stang&2birds
attachment.php

The red/blue wire marked to Ignition System goes to the TFI module.

Starter solenoid wiring for 86-91 Mustang
attachment.php

Starter solenoid wiring 92-93 Mustang or earlier Mustang with upgraded high torque mini starter.
attachment.php