Ignition Question

I am getting ready to finish up my 331 installation and carb conversion on my 90 fox.
Here is my question:
What is the best (most reliable) ignition system to use?
For every person that says "Go with MSD " there are ten more that say they are Chinese junk and will not last.
What else is there? Original Ford Duraspark? I know that's good stuff, but it's getting old...What do you guys run on your daily drivers?

• Sponsors (?)

Same MSD 6AL for about 18 years. If it ever dies I would probably go with a a 6AL-2 however if I could find a Crane HI-6S I would run that over the new MSD stuff. Crane quit making the box a few years back but it was a great unit.

Last edited:
Same MSD 6AL for about 18 years. If it ever dies I would probably go with a a 6AL-2 however if I could find a Crane HI-6S I would run that over the new MSD stuff. Crane quit making the box a few years back but it was a great unit.

Yeah but those older ones are the golden ones where the wires go into the unit and are sealed even though theyre antiquated analog units...I have one thats the same age as yours too but if you compare them to the new 6a boxes they sell now which I now have in my F250 they now have a plug that interfaces all of the wires giving a chance for water to enter if not mounted right...

In the pic below on the left side of the harness you can see the newer digital 6A box hardwired into my harness and I can still hook up the factory coil plug if needed... ..Its kinda convenient having a quick detachable plug but when looking at a longevity standpoint I already know it wont last half of the analog unit thats why its at the ready as a spare...LOL

IMG_20221023_145102.jpg

IMG_20221023_150847.jpg

IMG_20221028_160607.jpg

OP even though the MSD is made in china now theyre still good and are digital and if you mount them and hook them up 100% right theyll last...I dont use the crimp connectors either...I hardwire the whole thing in but you should use plug #8874 so if theres an issue with the mSD box I can hook the stock coil plug up to the coil and still get home...

In addition to the MSD 6 box I also have the timing adjust knob....With the distributor set at 10* I can still advance or retard my timing by either a full 15* or split the difference at 7.5 each....Been working for years like a charm....Its now hooked up to the newer 6a digital I upgraded to..
IMG_20190921_184441718 (2).jpg
IMG_20221028_162913.jpg

Last edited:
Most MSD failures are due to improper installation. People do not know what a good ground is or is not. They don't know what a proper power source is, or is not. Also, most people do not know had to splice a wire correctly or how to crimp a terminal end on correctly, and on and on. Fix the stupid install issues and the MSD ignition will work trouble free for years.