ignition switch bad?

Im pretty sure this is the problem ... when the car is on or on acc. the key has to be in a certain spot for my raidio, windsheild wipers, and power windows to work... Problem jus started....ignition switch? does that involve needing a hole new mechanism, like new key and everything? or what..
Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

we have fork lifts at my company and since i have been there i have had to replace 2 ign switches...you will know when they go bad because the key will turn to far...the ones i re-placed turned 180*+ before it would start...the lock cyl is attached to the ign switch if im not mistaken.

If you suspect it's the problem, you may as well just go ahead and replcae it. They are only about $20 from autozone or pepboys, and may fix other electrical related problems in the process anyway. I believe there was also a recall many years ago, so if yours never got fixed (which many of us 4th-5th owners never got,) you should replace it anyway.

yeah, that sounds like a real good bet (a couple of items you are missing are tell tale for a bad switch). Andy's advice is sound. good luck.

There is a FREE recall on Ford ignition switches. They overheat and sometimes catch fire.

Copy down you VIN number and call the Ford dealer nearest you. Tell them you want to see if the ignition switch recall for Fords & Mustangs was done on your car. They will ask for the VIN number & check it against the master database. If it isn't in the datbase, then you can schedule an appointment to have the switch replaced for free. The TSB is #95S28, and don't let them tell you that they don't do that anymore...