ignition switch bad??

pudman

May 31, 2008
tujunga,ca
86 gt mustang. so I'm sitting at a red light, and the car just died. tried restarting with no luck. fuel pump primes; engine cranks strong, but no go. I did the no spark no fuel test and concluded it is getting no spark. when I did the following test....
Place ignition key in on, with the 12-vdc test light connected to a good ground, probe the (+) terminal at the coil (Red/Lt Green wire)...test light off = usually an ignition switch or 20 GA fuse link problem....test light on = next step.

I get test light off. fuseable links are good. But with the key "on" I get all power
inside...fan,radio, etc. so my question is if the switch is bad in the "on" position wouldn't I end up with no power to the dash also? this is the original switch from 1986

• Sponsors (?)

There are mulitple circuits in the ignition switch that power different things.

So yes you can dash lights and not have power at the coil or TFI. You could do a continuty check from the ignition switch to the coil and see what you get.

update

upon further investigation it turns out to be the MSD box. I didn't even think of it at the time. This will be the second one gone bad. I'll remember your suggestions for the next time :nice: