>GT40-"P" heads
>B303 roller cam
>1.7/1 ratio roller rocker arms
>Mallory Magnetic Breakerless Distributor #57 series
>Performer RPM intake
>Autolite 4100 1.12" venturi carb
>Tri-Y headers (currently open:D)

Here's what I've done:
Engine first started at about TDC, tried 10 degrees BTC at about 800-850 RPM and wouldn't run well or idle evenly under 1000 RPM. It's been suggested that, because the idle won't go low enough to negate the mechanical advance, I should set for "all-in" timing above 3000 RPM. Best running appears to be at about 40 or more degrees which gives me between 25 and 30 degrees at 1000 RPM.:eek: Is this in the ballpark? How do I figure out where it should be? Where it is currently seems to run pretty well (when I stand on it, it goes like a raped ape) still won't idle below 950 or so without loading up. With the open headers, I can't tell if there is any spark knock, but engine starts well without "kicking back" on the starter. I've tried setting timing and carb with a vacuum gauge, but don't know if it works well at such a high idle. Maximum vacuum is about 14 inches. Any and all thoughts, comments and suggestions are welcome.
Thanx In Advance,
Gene

• Sponsors (?)

D.Hearne,
You are so right and I am so DUH! Engine runs quite differently with a couple of mufflers and some pipe. Thanks for confirming what I though I noticed. Blown65, I'll take that under advisement. You guys have put me on the right track.
Thanks So Much,
Gene