IL Emissions Question (Catalytic Monitor)

Long story short, my car was rejected for emissions in Illinois for:

EGR Monitor - Not Ready
Catalytic Monitor - Not Ready

I have since replaced my EGR solenoid, and now my EGR Monitor reads Ready. One problem fixed and 7/8 monitors are reading ready, YAY! I have my rear o2's set to on, yet I cannot get my catalytic converter monitor to be ready. I have followed Ford's drive cycle multiple times, but it seems like the Cat monitor just does not want to ready itself or throw a code. Can anyone chime in on what I should do, and if I can pass an IL emissions test with one Not Ready monitor?

• Sponsors (?)

In my experience the EVAP system will take the longest to complete. Here in Texas a car will pass with one or two monitors not ready depending upon the model year. For example my 2000 GT will pass with two monitors not ready. Where as my 2007 GM needs all but one to be ready.

Your post does not state the model year of your car. But if only one monitor is not ready my experience says it will pass. However I recommend that you study to laws in your area.

If asking for an educated guess, with 7/8 monitors completed, the outstanding monitor is the EVAP system. Why does it take soooooooooooo long for the EVAP to complete? Because it only runs:
  • after a 6 hour cold soak
  • gas tank has to have more then 1/4 tank but less than 3/4 of a tank.
  • It can't be too hot outside
  • it cant be too cold outside.
There are some areas of the country where it might take months for the EVAP monitor to go ready.

Last edited: