I'll never say 20" wheels are too big again...look!

Killer50stang

May 11, 2004
Just got back from a local car show and took a look at the new saleen. These are 20" Saleen wheels with baer brakes behind them. Look amazing, just dont' do it on a fox.

mustang003.jpg

Jason

• Sponsors (?)

Saleen's 19 inch rims actually looked better, who the hell knows why they didn't actually offer them when the car came out, i'm guessing a lack of available tires.

Most new cars need 20's to look right, wheel gaps are huge these days.

I like 20's on an 05+ Mustang....unless they are hideous looking wheels.

It just all has to do with proportions. I think 17's is perfect for Foxes, 18's for SN95's and 20's for 05+

I just dont think they look good on a fox platform car.. Its crazy to get big rims like like that too though its like 1600 for rims and 250 per tire seems wasteful to me..

Everyone needs to keep in mind that the Fox body Mustang was designed around THIRTEEN INCH RIMS which is an inch or so SMALLER than your typical aftermarket BRAKE ROTOR. Times have changed is putting it lightly. New cars are being built with bigger wheel wells to accomidate bigger wheels because low profile tires perform better. Anything beyond a 17 on a Fox is just wasting time IMO but to each his own.

Maximum Motorsports told me in e-mail that 18" and larger wheels are mainly for the bling factor on stangs.
They also said you will likely loose traction sooner with these rubber band tires because of not enough sidewall flex.

I`m not a fan of big wheels from a performance viewpoint.

8950HO said:
Maximum Motorsports told me in e-mail that 18" and larger wheels are mainly for the bling factor on stangs.
They also said you will likely loose traction sooner with these rubber band tires because of not enough sidewall flex.

I`m not a fan of big wheels from a performance viewpoint.

I dunno....they run 18s and 19s and sometimes 20s on LeMans cars, and i think those teams might know a bit more about taction than even MM does, but i agree that sidewall flex becomes an issue eventually.

85_SS_302_Coupe said:
I dunno....they run 18s and 19s and sometimes 20s on LeMans cars, and i think those teams might know a bit more about taction than even MM does, but i agree that sidewall flex becomes an issue eventually.

Those wheels are likely light weight and extremely expensive.
I don`t know why they run/need wheels that big?

Sidewall flex is a term that drag racers use... Road Racers dont want flex...

Personally Im doing 18s on a fox... Lots of people hate it, but I love it. I did the 15" rim thing, I got the traction, and I ran the times... now I want the look and the power, so 18s will have to do!

20s on an 05+ look really good with the right rim on the right car!