I'm baaaaaacckkkkkk... Blew my head gasket

reeber

10 Year Member
Mar 10, 2004
Berlin, NJ
So, now that I have a reason to remove the heads, which new heads should I get. I am also changing the intake manifold. I am going full bore this time. I have PI heads now... Still pushing about 500 to the wheels (before the head gasket went on me). I haven't done much research lately. Any new tests done that work very well? Which heads and intake manifold. I am pushing about 15 lbs. of boost with my S-Trim, but may move up to the T-Trim...

• Sponsors (?)

Well, it turns out that I just blew a heater hose. However, I am still ordering the heads. I was originally considering the MPH 2.5 heads since the seem to have the best every day driveability. So, I'll also do a bit of research on the trickflow intake as well. Thanks!

OK... I did some research on the intake manifold and it looks a bit like the Mach 1 intake. Do I need to replace the alternator and modify the top of the engine like the Mach 1 intake, or is it a direct replacement to my piece of crap plastic PI intake?

The FoxLake stage 2's are only $50 cheaper then the MPH 2.5's :shrug:

$2,150 for the MPH 2 1/2's vs $1,795 for the Fox Lake Stage II's.

I'm no mathmatician, but using my handy dandy calculator here, I see a difference of over $350 for the assembled price between the two....not $50,

And that's for complete heads with core exchange. If it's just a matter of sending your stock castings in for port work, with valve job you're looking at only $900 for the Stage II's from Fox Lake.

I'd say that's a pretty good value for the money by comparison, wouldn't you? :shrug:

...and before anyone pipes up and says how the MPH heads are the better of the two, I know plenty of guys running some of the fastest rides of seen fast with the Fox Lake heads and have nothing but good things to say about them.

$2,150 for the MPH 2 1/2's vs $1,795 for the Fox Lake Stage II's.

I'm no mathmatician, but using my handy dandy calculator here, I see a difference of over $350 for the assembled price between the two....not $50,

And that's for complete heads with core exchange. If it's just a matter of sending your stock castings in for port work, with valve job you're looking at only $900 for the Stage II's from Fox Lake.

I'd say that's a pretty good value for the money by comparison, wouldn't you? :shrug:

...and before anyone pipes up and says how the MPH heads are the better of the two, I know plenty of guys running some of the fastest rides of seen fast with the Fox Lake heads and have nothing but good things to say about them.

The Fox Lake price is with the core return which is a $300 credit...or add $300 to the price for outright purchase which is the price of the MPH heads and others like VT etc...Trust me i priced them all out and the Fox Lake is only that price if you ship them your heads.

I checked them out while I was shopping around too. MPH requires a core for their heads as well. I can't recall what they wanted for them outright....but I'm certain it was far more than a $50 difference. :shrug:

Stage 2 1/2 heads for 4.6 2 valves $2,150.00

Click to enlarge
Bronze guides
Stainless valves
comp springs
new locks
retainers
Core heads are requiredbr>

hey, whats up man. listen, you really cant go wrong with any of those heads. i have the fox ones and love them. the only regret is im scared all the time about the spark plugs blowing out of the heads on these cars. if it happens on a ported set, that could be alot of cash down the drain.

i dont know if the porters can do anything about the threads. when i got mine a while ago, i hardly heard of the spark plug issue. so i never mentioned it to fox lake. i have no idea if they did anything to help. however, my car will be getting torn apart by craig in a couple of months. ill take a look. point is you should ask about the threads on the heads.

as far as the intake goes. the trick flow one could be a problem with the bigger blowers like the t trim and novi 2000 last i heard. check into that and the fitment.

i think im still gonna go with the p 51...heavy as hell though.

I checked them out while I was shopping around too. MPH requires a core for their heads as well. I can't recall what they wanted for them outright....but I'm certain it was far more than a $50 difference. :shrug:

MPH doesn't want your heads, they get them new for $50 a set...its always said core on there site but they didn't want them. The price for MPH 2.5's was 2095 out the door when i was looking...they obviously raised the price over the last year and a half as has Fox Lake...they were 1995 out the door but VT was 1950 out the door so i went with them eventhough they are Fox Lake heads.

I hear ya, I ordered them from MPH but after more then a month of waiting i canceled and bought some VT's... I thought about experimenting with the stock PI's i had but just sold them instead. One day i'll break out my dremel and start grinding things just for fun...

MMR makes some good heads as well. www.modularmustangracing.com

MMR Stage 1 Ported Cylinder heads + 30 HP

Brand new ported Polished cylinder heads, includes new factory valves, springs, retainers, locks and stock PI cams

Upgrade to MMR stainless Steel swirl polished valves $249.99

Upgrade to Comp high performance springs $249.99

MMR Stage 2 Ported Cylinder heads + 45HP

Brand new ported Polished cylinder heads, includes new factory valves, springs, retainers, locks and stock PI cams

Upgrade to MMR stainless Steel swirl polished valves $249.99

Upgrade to Comp high performance springs $249.99