I'm new here, but I can't be the only one dealing with throttle lag.

FiremanJeff911

Apr 15, 2018
Indiana
Hey guys. So, I just bought my 07 GT convertible. There is about 1 inch of dead accelerator pedal. I can press the accelerator in about an inch and nothing happens. If I leave it there, eventually the engine will rev up over 4k RPM, but it's annoying as all get out. I've tried cleaning and adjusting both the pedal position sensor and the TPS, but haven't gotten the improvement I was hoping for. Since the new pedal assembly is almost $200, I'd like to be sure that it's the problem before dropping that money. I don't know, but we'll see how it goes.

• Sponsors (?)

Hey guys. So, I just bought my 07 GT convertible. There is about 1 inch of dead accelerator pedal. I can press the accelerator in about an inch and nothing happens. If I leave it there, eventually the engine will rev up over 4k RPM, but it's annoying as all get out. I've tried cleaning and adjusting both the pedal position sensor and the TPS, but haven't gotten the improvement I was hoping for. Since the new pedal assembly is almost $200, I'd like to be sure that it's the problem before dropping that money. I don't know, but we'll see how it goes.
You'll need a scan tool that can read both pedal position and throttle position to verify what's going on.

Drive-by-wire systems are a necessary-ish evil forced upon us by OEMs to keep The EPA, insurance companies, and their own wallets happy (how else are they going to warranty transmissions for the mileage they do with modern engine torque levels?). And quite frankly, Ford sucks at it (which is most of uwhy I traded in the F150 I bought new in 2015 last year, and the 2009 Mustang that damned near got me killed with a throttle body failure on a busy highway the year before that).

Anyway, back to the question at hand. With a scan tool that can read both of those parameters, you can view the correlation between the two and see where the problem lies. You can also look at requested throttle position, and verify the throttle body is where it's supposed to be. If things are out of whack, a re-calibration can be tried before parts replacement (though this could require a higher-end scan tool).