In memoriam: Ric Kolb, 1954 to 2006.

wythors

Get off my lawn!!!
Founding Member
May 17, 2000
C Addle
Ric Kolb of Thrasher's Corner was passionate about cars, particularly Fords. He loved to drive cars, work on cars, race cars, go to car shows, participate in car club events, go to weekend cruise-in's at local drive-in's and hang out with car people and talk cars. He was the crew chief of the Carben Racing Team. He was a long-time member of Mustangs Northwest and a founding member of SVTOA/Seattle, a club for owners of Mustang Cobras, Lightning pickups and specially prepared Focuses and Contours sold by the Special Vehicle Team of Ford. He personally owned a 1995 Lightning, an SVT Contour and a 1991 Saleen Mustang convertible that was a one-time magazine feature car. In short, Ric Kolb was a quintessential "car guy".

On the morning of July 4th, Ric passed away unexpectedly from a sudden heart attack, just four days short of his 52nd birthday and a week from the 32nd anniversary of his marriage to his wife Diana. A 1972 graduate of Inglemoor High School in Bothell, Ric left behind three children: Dorothy, Howard and Todd, as well has hundreds of friends in the car enthusiast community. A remembrance gathering in July was attended by more than 200 of his friends. His ashes have since been spread at race tracks around the country this summer.

In his memory, his friends in SVTOA/Seattle have started the Ric Kolb Memorial Scholarship to benefit a student in the Ford ASSET program at Renton Technical College. The ASSET program partners a student with a local Ford dealership and alternates class time with hands-on work experience in the dealership's service department over a two year course of study. Upon completion of the program, the student graduates with a college degree and a good paying job repairing the Ford vehicles that Ric loved. The SVTOA/Seattle Ric Kolb Memorial Scholarship will give $1,000 ($750 worth of tuition and $250 to spend on tools) to a deserving student each year, as selected by the Renton Technical College Foundation. The scholarship will be funded yearly by SVTOA/Seattle's annual car show in the spring. Additionally, Diana Kolb is donating Ric's automotive tools to the ASSET program, knowing that Ric would want them to be used. They will be supplied at no charge to students that need them.

For more information:
www.svtoaseattle.com
www.rtc.edu/Programs/TrainingPrograms/FordAsset/

View attachment 440474
L to R: Bill Smallwood III, Chapter Director, SVTOA/Seattle; Dorothy Kolb, Ric's daughter; Diana Kolb, Ric's wife; John W. Mundy, RTC ASSET program director

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those of you who might not know him by name, Ric was the "old guy with the white Saleen convertible" who used to go to Burgermaster, Taco Time and Clearview.

• Sponsors (?)

I wish I could have made the meeting Tuesday night. This is one I really wanted to make. I am just glad I could be part of the club and we could put this together. I know it means a lot to his family.

It did. It was a blast sitting there listening to all the stories that she was telling of Ric. Though I only saw him once in passing, I knew that he was someone to look up to in life. It's people like Ric that make car clubs so great to be a member of...

Ric Kolb

Thanks for the update. Ric was a great guy. He and I would talk often at the Saturday Clearview Cruise-in. We drag raced together a couple of times, even though road racing was more his cup of tea.

He will be missed by all that knew him!