Inaccuracy, oil pressure guage?

93BlueStang

Apr 20, 2004
Just bought a completely stock 93 gt with 103k miles. The oil pressure guage reads between the "a" and "l" in "normal". From owning other 5.0 mustangs and driving in several others, this reading appears low and unusual in comparison with the average that i've seen. The guage does not fluctuate or make any dramatic dips or rises, but just stays fairly close to the "a" and "l" postitions. I know that the stock guages have a tendency to be inaccurate, but has anyone had their oil pressure guage stay consistant at this lower level and not experiance probs? I know its still in the "normal" range, but like i said, it seems much lower than any other 5.0 i've driven so i was just wondering. Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

For some crazy reason, most late model Fords have a resistor installed in the oil pressure sending wire. Some near the sending unit, others near the guage. To get a good idea if that is what it is, disconnect the wire at the sending unit, and ground it good, and then check the guage. If it is full scale, your guage is working normal, and either you have a defective sending unit of lower oil pressure than you would like. If the guage does not go to full scale, your car has the resistor in line some where. This is one of the reasons so many guys add a real guage.. :)

I have had mine for 15 years and 174,000 miles. For the first few years the guage read anywhere from halfway to three quarters of the way to the top. Then for the next few years it read between the A and L. Now it will fluctuate between the L and halfway.