Inheritance problems... What to do with it???

balderman

Dec 6, 2002
Spring City, PA
Well to make a long story short my Grandfather just past away, and at the reading of the will his estate was spilt up among the 2 children and 3 grandchildren, me being one of them. With out sounding too stuck up, we plan to pay the house off.. setup trust funs for the kids. Get the wife a new Cadilac Escilade, and I am going to wait for the 2006 or 2007 Cobra's to come out and get one of those. With all that said and done, I have managed get the wife to let me spend a few grand on the current mustang. Just something to play with. I just put a 345 crate motor in it which is running perfect. I want to build a motor from the ground up. Never done anything like that so I need to start with a Short block.

I would like to go big.. but not sure how big I can go in our cars... Anyone know what is the biggest block that will fit in our cars? My hope is to make somewhere around 600+ n/a.. definitely going the turbo route...but that will be after I get my 2006/7 Cobra daily driver. I can't really see have 800+ on the street as a daily driver...

Not to make you all drewl, but my budget is 20k...

• Sponsors (?)

If you want something Ginormous, one of the 427 strokers would be cool. They have a 514 big block too but I'm not sure if it'd even fit. The 427 stroker will fit with the 351 swap parts, you can do that with like AFR 225's or something. It'd be a monster. If the wife's only letting you spend a few grand, your options are very limited. A GOOD 351+ swap with all the supporting parts and tuning will easily run $7k on up. You could go for a junkyard build instead but still a few grand's not a whole lot when you're talking about a bigger longblock, or anything near the horsepower figures you mentioned. If you want 600+ HP N/A, you're EASILY looking at at least 7-8 grand or more. But son of a gun, I just saw the last part where you mention your budget is 20k. Must be nice mang! You could always do a slick turbo setup on the motor you already have too for less than it'd take to make the same figures naturally aspirated. Just remember, speed is money, if you want to spend that much on a 94-95 then cool! Good luck whatever you wind up doing. With 20k you can make one sick beast.

Brian- First, sorry about your family. Second, Do yourself a favor and hire a personal accountant. You can even write him or her off. You can save a TON of money by having the accountant handle your finances. (I expect a small % of your savings once you find out how much the accountant is going to save you. ;) )

In my opinion, I'd invest it in the stock market. Believe it or not, since I was 14, my parents have been investing my money for me. I grew up in a business household, so thats the route id take. Id also take some of that money and put it towards a 401k. Ive already begun mine.

Sorry to hear about your grandfather. I would go to your bank or find a bank with a good asset managment department. The will really be able to make your money work for you. I work in the investments department at a bank and I see this type of thing everyday. Invest it. It will be a great feeling to be able to leave off the interest alone. Anyways, since you just put a crate motor in, I'd just put on a supercharger or maybe even buy a turbo kit for it. Then just save up for something else like your Cobra.

hey man i'm from phoenixville, pratically neighbors. i could really use some more for umm......let me think.....tuition, mods, apartment....help a brother out...

no j/k that sucks and yet good at the same time. i wouldn't waste to much money on the current car if your planning on the new cobras. and not to mention, building a pushrod motor to learn how it all goes together for future reference isn't that practical anymore if you planning on buying the new mod motors. theres other things to spend money on first. slap a supercharger/turbo the beast if you need to and be done with it. save the money for the new cobra. make that thing fast as crap when you first get it.

Thanks for all the support.. My grandfather was 96...he definitely got everything he could out of life.

Thanks for all the advice too. We have an accountant and he is making sure we are well taken care of. So blowing 20k is somthing I have sort of always wanted to do. But I figure blow it on something I love instead of something worthless.

I still have the Vortech from my Stock motor, I was planning on putting it on the crate once I got some miles on it.. just never got around to doing it yet.