Inside Cover/Shade for Sunroof - 1984 Notchback Coupe

mercury-man

Mar 17, 2022
Texas
Does anyone have a good suggestion/solution for installing an interior shade for a sunroof. The sunroof on my car lets the interior get way too hot in the summer time.

Has anyone tried something like this:
Amazon product ASIN B01MCS6VOEView: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MCS6VOE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3L9JIU3LWKPL3&th=1

sun roof.jpeg

• Sponsors (?)

I had a company car in the early 80's with a pop top... Way too much sunlight let in when you did not want it and the heat, so I taped tin foil to the inside of the glass... Made a HUGE difference... I did worry about the glass breaking from the heat, but never had a problem.....

The early mustangs did have a sunshade, but it was discontinued due to falling down while driving. It requires some support structure to make it work that was no longer put on later cars with sunroofs.

2DE4BF69-6F4F-4039-8E77-6E660B8D0CD1.jpeg

But the solution here is ceramic tint. It will block out the vast majority of solar energy. You don’t even need to go dark. A 70% ceramic film will make a huge difference. With ceramics, the blocking ability is not tied to darkness.

If you don’t mind spending the extra money, a ceramic NANO film will make an even bigger difference. It’s not cheap, but it will block pretty much everything and you can still look through it (depending on level of tint)

Pop the sunroof out and go to a high end tint shop (that will have ceramic and nano ceramic options) and get some quotes

• Useful
Reactions: 1 users
It is mine. I do not use it though. There’s a few misc brackets needed welddd to the roof to make it work and I don’t have them in my year.

It’s just a rare paperweight for me

I’m gonna have my sunroof ceramic tinted when I get a chance

some things from a former era are better.
My sr is not for light but (mostly summer) venting.
The MR2 still has it's (#6 post) shade.
Take a look at different models to cobble upa shade for ur use. If U havea lip some down'n dirty solutions can work (head liner covered pressure fit insulation board). HTH, good luck~

Again, those shades especially for the dough, be my first choice. FWIW.
These shades appear to be doing the trick:

View: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MCS6VOE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3L9JIU3LWKPL3&th=1

I bought the package with two 25x16 shades. I installed both shades and overlapped the 25" widths. So far, they are staying up and they make a significant difference when driving in sunlight.

I like the fact that I did not have to tint my original sunroof and these shades are easy to remove and re-install. They get my recommendation.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user
I took one of those cardboard accordion sunshades and cut it down so that it wedges tightly up in there and a string to pull it down and out. Also dark tinted the sunroof many years ago which definitely helps too.

The early mustangs did have a sunshade, but it was discontinued due to falling down while driving. It requires some support structure to make it work that was no longer put on later cars with sunroofs.

2DE4BF69-6F4F-4039-8E77-6E660B8D0CD1.jpeg

But the solution here is ceramic tint. It will block out the vast majority of solar energy. You don’t even need to go dark. A 70% ceramic film will make a huge difference. With ceramics, the blocking ability is not tied to darkness.

If you don’t mind spending the extra money, a ceramic NANO film will make an even bigger difference. It’s not cheap, but it will block pretty much everything and you can still look through it (depending on level of tint)

Pop the sunroof out and go to a high end tint shop (that will have ceramic and nano ceramic options) and get some quotes
Thanks for the tip. I need to do something about the one in my 89. We had a brief heat wave here in Oregon over the weekend and man it was hot driving the 89 with that sunroof. I was talking to my buddy about it that I got the car from and he agreed these later years needed a sun shade as well.

That shade looks like one from a Pace car? The shades from the Pinto / Bobcat are similar but I do not know if they are the same as I never had both at one time to compare. I even if the shape is different, I believe the sunroof hardware is the same between the Pinto/bobcat and Mustang.

You should get a decent chunk of change for that shade if you decide to sell it. I had one 5-6 years ago and it sold on ebay for well over $100. Way more than I thought it would be worth. Mine was cracked in a few spots too but was complete.