Exhaust Inside of Catalytic Converters

fredfifty

Nov 23, 2011
SF Bay Area
attached is the rearward pic of the cat, it looks like a block of foam, how does this happen? i need to get it out because its loose, do i just smash the crap out of it and blow it out the exhaust? is it hazardous?

thanks

Attachments

• 0359DF24-FA91-49A4-8D9E-4E66A7CC08EA.jpeg
    0359DF24-FA91-49A4-8D9E-4E66A7CC08EA.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 133
  • Sponsors (?)

The honeycomb material is platinum or palladium, both of which are precious metals that are very valuable. I would not smash it out and just throw it away for that reason.

It may be that some of the honeycomb has broken loose and is now rattling around. At that point I would recommend replacing the converter or buying an converterless H pipe.

The honeycomb material is platinum or palladium, both of which are precious metals that are very valuable. I would not smash it out and just throw it away for that reason.

It may be that some of the honeycomb has broken loose and is now rattling around. At that point I would recommend replacing the converter or buying an converterless H pipe.
Well that sucks, do you think it will still pass a sniffer test? i drove it around and it hasnt been rattling.

Well that sucks, do you think it will still pass a sniffer test? i drove it around and it hasnt been rattling.
If the engine is in first calls shape, good, tune, new sparkplugs, no codes, doesn't burn oil, has good compression, and gets good gas mileage, it might pass, but I wouldn't count on it. At any rate to converter is acting a as restriction to the exhaust and will hurt performance.

You're damn right the material in the cats is valuable. It's common for thieves to jump under vehicles and hack the cats off with sawzall. They particularly like to do it on trucks since they are higher off the ground and easy to get under.

Before we had parts galore, I can't count how many factory h-pipes were brought to my house for gutting. I had a piece of rebar I knocked them out with. Wasn't an easy mod which is why they got brought to me I guess.

You're damn right the material in the cats is valuable. It's common for thieves to jump under vehicles and hack the cats off with sawzall. They particularly like to do it on trucks since they are higher off the ground and easy to get under.

Now that plumbing has gone to PEX..... there’s less copper to rip out of under construction homes. The a$$hats need to find something to steal. God forbid they find a job!