Insight on my fuel pump problem. Opinions needed.

The Green GT

No 13 year olds are safe around me.
10 Year Member
Jan 8, 2006
Louisiana
Ok, Im pretty sure I have tracked down my low RPM miss to a bad fuel pump. I noticed that it didnt always do it and today I realised what made it not do it. When I have more than 1/4 of a tank, it does not do it at all. Im thinking that maybe the increases pressure from the extra gas is helping the pump wiich is already going south? :shrug: And once I get under 1/4 of a tank, there isnt enough pressure to help the pump so it has to work on its own and it starts to mess up.

What do you guys think?

• Sponsors (?)

i'm pretty sure your right about the pump messing up when the tanks low but i always heard it was because the pump was getting hot, since the fuel also helps to cool the pump down. if its going out it acts up when the gas is low because its not being cooled enough. kinda makes sense i guess.:shrug:

well....this is all just a theory.

Maybe at low rpm you're not getting enough fuel because the filter is clogged so everynow and then you get a bit of a miss at idle.

Then while going WOT, you're probably running leaner than you normally do....You just don't notice it. Once you get to the higher rpms/loads that blockage in the fuel filter just can't pass the fuel through that you need it to so you start losing power.

Also while cruising, you may have a bit of a miss that you just don't fully notice.

FWIW, I would change the filter before the pump. Cheap to do and, as stated before, it's something that should be done rather often.

Kind of a longshot fix here.

good luck

The Green GT said:
When I have more than 1/4 of a tank, it does not do it at all.
The solution is to keep more than 1/4 tank of gas in the car (always a good idear). :D

The pump works at 100% at all times. As for why it's happening, I'd have to think for a bit. Does it do it more (or worse) while cornering with less than 1/4 tank? A pickup issue came to mind. The fuel (as mentioned) does have a nice cooling effect as well. Does it do it with less than 1/4 tank in the morning (when the car is cold)?

Good luck.