Installed Lokar A/T Kickdown cable

jes72mustang

Mar 31, 2005
S. Central PA
I finally installed the Lokar A/T kickdown cable that I purchased back at Spring Carlisle on my 72 Grande. I must say that Since I had the tranny rebuilt back in march and had the shift kit installed I wasn't too impressed. But installing the Kickdown cable made a big difference. The Shifts are now more firm and I love the feeling when it kicks down into passing gear. :D It pulled me back into the seat. IF anyone is thinking about installing one but not sure, I recommend it, definately worth the $75 bucks. :banana:

It is going to be getting more street time for sure now.

• Sponsors (?)

jes72mustang said:
I finally installed the Lokar A/T kickdown cable that I purchased back at Spring Carlisle on my 72 Grande. I must say that Since I had the tranny rebuilt back in march and had the shift kit installed I wasn't too impressed. But installing the Kickdown cable made a big difference. The Shifts are now more firm and I love the feeling when it kicks down into passing gear. :D It pulled me back into the seat. IF anyone is thinking about installing one but not sure, I recommend it, definately worth the $75 bucks. :banana:

It is going to be getting more street time for sure now.
I am very interested, but the problem is i dont know what all i need. my holley carb has the ford kickdown, but not the spring and perch. and then i see that lokar makes there own spring and perch, so i really just dont know what all parts i need besides that actual lokar kickdown cable. maybe you can help me out. right now i have some 16 gauge electrical wire rigged up to actuate my kickdown :(

What is your exact set up? Engine and Tranny? There is a different cable depending on the trans. But you are right, I bought the Lokar cable for the FMX tranny, and the Bracket and spring kit, total layout was about $75. I am running an edelbrock Carb and the Lokar cable came with a stud that mounted to the throttle linkage. So I don't think you even need the holley kick down linkage on the carb ( no sure though). The Spring perch/bracket mounts to the back corner carb stud. The whole installation took me about an hour. I had to mock it up twice to get the length of the cable right. The old measure twice cut once principle. But I still had to cut the braided shaething twice, it was still too long after the first cut.

I'm sure the Lokar cable will look better than the electrical wire linkage. :D

jes72mustang said:
I'm sure the Lokar cable will look better than the electrical wire linkage. :D
Yeah, thats what im banking on. im using a 289 w/ a c4, but im sure the setup is very similar. thanks for the info though, ill just get the lokar cable and bracket instead of the holley bracket. im pretty sure edelbrocks and holleys have the same style linkage on the side of the carb so it should work fine for me. the funny thing is, my rigged up kickdown works, just not well. the tranny doesnt always shift into third correctly under full throttle and im assuming this is why. thanks again! big help :D