Fox Installed New Distribitor Now Getting Random Stall.

• Sponsors (?)

MSD = May Suddenly Die. There are more failures for MSD posted here on Stangnet than any other manufacturer,

Having said that, here's some diagnostic help...

You guys with idle/stall problems could save a lot of time chasing your tails if you would go through the Surging Idle Checklist. Over 50 different people contributed information to it. The first two posts have all the fixes, and steps through the how to find and fix your idle problems without spending a lot of time and money. Included in the first post is how to dump the codes, which may point to your current problem. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions. You can post questions to that sticky and have your name and idle problem recognized. The guys with original problems and fixes get their posts added to the main fix. :D

It's free, I don't get anything for the use of it except knowing I helped a fellow Mustang enthusiast with his car. At last check, it had more than 159,000 hits, which indicates it does help fix idle problems quickly and inexpensively.

Car never suddenly stall till I put the msd in. Didn't have the problem with the old. What I had problems when the motor was warm. It wouldn't start unless i gave it gas. Went through everything but the pip sensor. With msd car starts every time. Now get stalling

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Car never suddenly stall till I put the msd in. Didn't have the problem with the old. What I had problems when the motor was warm. It wouldn't start unless i gave it gas. Went through everything but the pip sensor. With msd car starts every time. Now get stalling

As he said those msd dist. Are super unreliable . You may have solved your issue with the hot issue but now the dist may have its own gremlins . My car and others still have the stock dist making way more power just due to the reliability of it .

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers while my auto correct makes me seem illiterate

As he said those msd dist. Are super unreliable . You may have solved your issue with the hot issue but now the dist may have its own gremlins . My car and others still have the stock dist making way more power just due to the reliability of it .

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers while my auto correct makes me seem illiterate
I'm better off just return that msd and go with a stocker motorcraft

Reactions: 1 user
TFI module replacement time. They are notoriously bad, especially once warmed up.
I replaced it on my old distributor but still having start up problems when it was hot. Replaced the whole distributor with a msd now she starts every time. Now I get sudden stalls It didn't do with the old one

Ok. Good luck.

Consider searching TFI module issues. It's good to have a spare, regardless. So, keep the one off of your old dizzy. Try swapping it on to see if that fixes the MSD. The MSD TFIs are common issues right out of the box. Maybe it's not your issue, but it really could be.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I replaced it on my old distributor but still having start up problems when it was hot. Replaced the whole distributor with a msd now she starts every time. Now I get sudden stalls It didn't do with the old one

What they are trying to say is although the new distributor solved one problem it may have created a new one.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm gonna pull the tfi off my old distributor and see what she does.
Ok. Good luck.

Consider searching TFI module issues. It's good to have a spare, regardless. So, keep the one off of your old dizzy. Try swapping it on to see if that fixes the MSD. The MSD TFIs are common issues right out of the box. Maybe it's not your issue, but it really could be.

What they are trying to say is although the new distributor solved one problem it may have created a new one.

Just a update on the msd. Looks like the msd tfi is junk put the dyna mod tfi on and car runs good. She starts up every time. Thanks for the help everyone!

Reactions: 2 users