Installed New Power Steering Rack, Now Big Tire Rub..

I have an 89 vert.... I installed a new rack and lined up the tie rod ends as much as possible.. now when turning either way I get big tire rub..

Does this sound like a common issue where the tie rod allingment may be off?

Did not have this issue before unless I was all the way turned..

Help please all this work to not even be able to drive...

Let me know if you need more info... thanks in advance for your time...

• Sponsors (?)

Thats odd because the rack only controls which direction the wheels are pointing. It shouldn't affect the suspension geometry and cause rubbing. Of course if the new rack allows the wheels to be turned farther to each side I can see how that might cause rubbing, but only when you're turned sharply. Where exactly are the tires rubbing?

I think removing and installing a K member can affect suspension geometry and result in tire rub.

Again, where are the tires rubbing? What part of the tires are rubbing on what part of the car? When turning only?

So I went and turned the wheel one way and got my hand all the way around the tire as much as I could. Tire is a tight fit but still got my hand around as much as I could reach. Did not see any marks to the inner fender well or the tire its self. Now even more confused than ever.

Yes when turning only and not turning much. Example turn left or right from a stop sign and the noise until you straighten out the wheel.

1. The Swaybar is not on yet could that matter? The noise happens going really slow so doubt body roll is tipping the car.
2. Had the k-member removed to change the oil pan due to previous pan damage from the sway bar hitting it... At the same time had my steering rack replaced that was gushing fluid with new tie rod ends.
3. Car has Ford Racing Progressive Rate Springs M5300B that say they work for convertibles too.

Not sure what else I can provide. Just could not find any signs of rubbing or clear points of contact. I don't think the rim is hitting the a-arm.

Just lost right now. Thanks for your help so far John.

Double check the PS fluid level. Even a small amount low can make all kinds of strange noises, even ones that vibrate and feel like tire rubbing. Also, check to make sure the brake backing plates are not rubbing on the brake rotors.

Lugs are good put on with impact then torqued. I will take the tires off and look at the backing plate... Also actually it was a little low on fluid.... Brake backing plate is a very interesting point. I will pop the tires off look really close. I just gave the brakes a quick glace before.

I recently did a brake pad swap on a Ford Escape. I accidentally bent one of the brake backing plates. It was quiet driving straight. But in a turn it was just enough flex to rub and make noise.

check the wheel bearings too. Make sure they are not loose. Again, loose bearing can allow just enough slop to make the rotor rub the backing plate.

Only with bigger tires, the front fenders have a additional piece bolted on, I think they call it a spat, I have pony wheels that are not original, 89's came with a 15" wheel and in 91 they increased the wheel opening to fit 16" wheels.
I know some k members can move your wheel forward a little but I doubt thats your problem.

I plan to give the brake area a good look as I had not done previously. The dust shield seems like a great point. I did look at the a-arm clearance as I had that issue with a previous rim but I will really check it out now.

Thanks again to everyone. I owe my car working over the years to this message board!

So confirmed the brake shield is not rubbing. So took for small drive and stopped as soon as I heard the rub.

Top of the tire is rubbing on the fender. Each side is closer on the street vs my garage.. car must be lower now. It was close before all that work that was done.

Doubt it but could alignment be an issue or that the sway bar is not back on yet be anything.

Just seems the front end is lower...

What the heck?