Engine Installing A/C in a Non-A/C Car

bleedinggreen

5 Year Member
Aug 13, 2018
Humble, TX
My 1989 LX is a factory non-A/C car and I'm looking at installing A/C. I live in Texas and it's just not enjoyable riding around in the summer without A/C. I have an evaporator, a new heater core, and 89 A/C controls. I was going to order this this kit from LMR and prior to ordering it, I contacted them to see what else I would need to order. The understanding I had before this was that the HVAC box in 87 and up cars are the same and non-A/C cars just don't have evaporators installed. The gentleman that got back to me from LMR stated that I would need a HVAC box, electrical harness, and vacuum harness from an A/C car. Is this right?

This is what I was originally thinking that I needed, but now I'm not sure. Can anyone assist with this?
  • LMR conversion kit
  • Evaporator
  • A/C controls
  • Heater core (might as well while the box is out)
  • Compressor brackets
  • Condenser brackets
  • Accumulator brackets
  • Belt

• Sponsors (?)

I have the LMR kit and its great, but I dont know much about the rest except you probably need to go to the junk yard and get everything just so you have it. Does your car have the holes in the firewall. Blocked off of coarse

Then you just need a junk car. I feel sorry for you with the heat. I just sold a Jeep with no AC here in Florida because it was hot. Plus I couldnt fix it.. My Foxbodies AC was weak so I got the kit at LMR and its cold inside. Nice set with polished compressor

FYI,

I love LMR but you can piece that kit together for much less. They are just sourcing parts store components in a convenient package and offering outstanding customer support

Their kit features a reman compressor. So here's a rockauto cart (click to expand) with all the same components and a reman compressor PLUS an evap core. The only parts missing are the AC manifolds (get from LMR) and the r134a conversion fitting (get from parts store). With shipping to me plus tax it works out to $490. There's a 5% discount code on the internet for RA if you search around.

So you save almost $200 and that includes the evap. You could splurge for a NEW compressor as well off RA if you wanted.

One thing i will note though. If you have an issue with the parts, LMR will go above and beyond to make it right. RA will tell you to pound sand. So that's really where the extra cost goes. Up to you to decide if that's worth it or not.

I restored my A/C system using RA parts.

1710855922222.png

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Hi. I have a 91 lx coupe that I just did an ac delete on. I'm in PA and the car is set up for track days. I removed everything except the evaporator since I didn't want to open dash. Was working but refrigerant leaked out. Has r134 hookups. If interested would be willing to sell or trade for??? Please let me know if this will work for you. Have pics of parts. Might be easier than trip to my or buying a junker.
Dick

Reactions: 1 users
For example, on Noobz reply simply hover over his user name in the left hand box and a pop-up will appear. Click on "Start conversation" and you are off to the races.

Reactions: 1 user
Vintage Air just released their SureFit kit for the fox body. It’s pricy, but I’m wondering if it’s worth the upgrade. I reached out to them and they said they can put together everything I need for a non-AC car - brackets, belt, etc.

The only hesitation I would have with such a kit, cost aside, is finding replacement parts down the road if needed. Hopefully it’s not, but snagging a new orifice line for an OE setup might be easier than finding a new line for the vintage air kit.

Not that I think the company won’t be around in 10 years, but I’ve seen stranger things happen.

The only hesitation I would have with such a kit, cost aside, is finding replacement parts down the road if needed. Hopefully it’s not, but snagging a new orifice line for an OE setup might be easier than finding a new line for the vintage air kit.

Not that I think the company won’t be around in 10 years, but I’ve seen stranger things happen.
That thought crossed my mind. I wonder if they try to use the same parts in all of their kits as much as possible. For as much as the kit costs, I hope they support it long term.