Installing gauges on a Carb'd motor

Busted07

I need my gorilla to be about an inch longer.
Nov 15, 2005
So last night i decide to put my gauge cage in (where it takes the place of tha a/c vents)

Whoever at autometer invented that ring retaining system was a genius. It barely fit around the gauges, let alone let me tighten them down. I have to get a longer screw for that, but thats small potatoes...

My concern is this. I put my oil pressure and water temp gauges in the a/c vents. After i installed it, i started wondering if the water temp gauge line will be long enough to reach the front of the intake. From what it looks like, i might have to buy a longer line, or go straight through the back of the firewall to get it to the port on the front of my air gap intake. Is there any way i can get an extension or something to make sure i have enough line, or will i have to buy a longer pre-made line? You would think they would send it with enough line to reach the front of the intake, but its going to be close.

As far as the oil perssure gauge, i was thinking that instead of using that junk nylon line they send, i want to get some small stainless braided line to run from the gauge to wherever the hell it hooks up at.
By the way.. where the hell does it hook up at?

Pictures would be GREAT!!! thanks guys!

Edit: this is what im thinking of getting for the oil pressure gauge, but i dont know where its supposed to hook up at, so im not sure what length ill need.

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...925228+4294923437+4294846127+115&autoview=sku

• Sponsors (?)

My temp gauge goes right through the firewall. I cut a hole and plugged it with a grommet.

Did you have to go through your heater vent, or did you go under it? if this is as short as it seems, it looks like id have to run it THROUGH the heater vent, through the cowl and stright to the intake. Im trying to avoid that many holes, but if its what i gotta do... then ill do it.

for oil pressure gauge I woudl run a -3AN or -4AN braided line. i didnt check the link you put but you can buy it in any length and then cut to fit later and add the appropriate fittings. Its so much more accurate...gauge used to dwell on oil pressure by like 10-15 now its dead on all the time no needle bouncing...

Most capillary tubes are 6' long for mech temp gauges. I'd cut a piece of string or 18 AWG electrical wire that's 6' long and route it how you desire your capillary tube to be. This is a quick way to find the best path.

Your idea for a metal line (be it braided or copper) for the OP gauge is wise. The OP sending unit is above the oil filter.

Good luck.