Installing new balancer. Need Directions HELP

• Sponsors (?)

when i did mine i used an impact gun to get the bolt off that holds it to the crank. Your going to need a puller to get the pulley and balancer to come off the engine, you can rent that tool from kragen or autozone. Make sure you disconnect your battery.

Install...clean up the shaft...make sure you have the woodruff key in the new balancer, remove it from the old one if it didnt stay in the crank....put a little RTV on the key to cover it...place the balancer on the shaft...line up with the key...push it on as much as you can...put you bolt on and wind it in....

I installed a Romac and heated it to go on....the balancers are an interference fit...see how much it goes on BEFORE you decide if the bolt has enough threads in the crank to pull the mother in...If you heat it some...it'll slide all the way to the back of the crank...blam...put the nut on and tighten it...

I am with RIO5.0.
In addition I put a thin coat of 'anti seize' on the crankshaft and key before install. If you don't get it to slide all the way on then DON'T try to use the bolt to install the balacer. If you rent the puller be sure it has a harmonic balancer install bearing/washer as well. You DO NOT want to strip or cross thread that bolt in the end of your crankshaft. Believe me I know.

the only thing missed was the puller should be three bolt puller. not the one with the hooks. you put the two outside bolts in two bolt holes for where the pulley was and tighten the center one down on the crank bolt (which should be half way unthreaded now) until it pops loose. then finish takeign the crank bolt out and balancer. then put new one on like the others said.

if you dont have an impact to get the bolt loose, i just hooked up a breaker bar to the end of the ratchet while it was on there and had my sister crank it. remember, CRANK it, not start it. itll pop loose easily.

HoofnIt said:
Is there anything wrong with leaving the car in gear and setting the emergency break to prevent the motor from turning while 'breaking' loose the bolt?

no, thats cool if its a 5 speed. it wont work with the autos. you would have to just sneak up on it... try to move the wrench faster than the inertia of the engine will allow. but those bolts are really tight so youd need an impact.