Fox Installing new vinyl top glass window advice?

Hey all! If there's already material out there please let me know because I've been having one hell of a time trying to find material regarding this.

Does anyone have any advice or a list of tools needed for installing a new top on an 85? The lowest quote I got was $800, the highest quote I got was $2000, and a lot of "No we won't touch that car lmao". I figured I could try and tackle it myself if it's truly going to cost that much.

I can't find a single decent video explaining the process of installing one, nor any good documentation pointing out what tools and parts you may need to replace or parts you need to buy like tack strips etc...

Any advice would be great. Thank you so much in advance :)

• Sponsors (?)

Convertibletopguys or classicconvertibletops are decent places. I prefer eztops. You will need both tension cables, convertible weatherstrip kit, stainless steel staples in 1/4 and 3/8th, an electric stapler ( hands will get tired ), weatherstrip cement, exacto knife ( I prefer them over razor blades....blades are directional and will want to go left or right when cutting ), and a roll of 1/8 or 1/4 closed cell foam self stick weatherstrip atleast 1 inch widen, roll of windshield butyl. LMR had a good install video. You want the glass back window and not plastic. You'll also need a Phillips screw driver, heat gun, 1/2 or 13mm socket and ratchet. There are screws hidden under the weatherstrip and you have to be very careful removing it. Usually it's glued down and will tear.

It's a lengthy process to do it right. I generally charge 400.00 but I'm in VA and only do them in my garage. It's truelly worth every penny of 800 bucks if done right. The frame and windows will probably need adjustment. The quarter window adjustments suck.

I generally charge 400.00 but I'm in VA and only do them in my garage.
I don't live far from VA actually, I'm NC. If you're experienced and charging $400 it may very well be worth the 3 hour drive for myself haha.
How long would it take you for full installation? The top I got is from OPR;

I'm busy with a few projects but you can PM me and we may be able to work something out. Generally it takes about 2 days. One day for tear down, clean up, and basic install. Another day for adjustments and finishing. Honestly, you would just about break even with your 800 quote if you had to come here and get a room for the night.