Installing OEM 1993 CD Player in 1991 GT

not1337

Oct 9, 2009
I have purchased a 1993 Ford CD player, the one that came in the Cobra and Probe along with a 1993 Premium Sound wiring harness. I'd like to install this in my 1991 GT. The existing radio harness, from what I can see of it, is pretty chopped up from when the previous owner installed an aftermarket stereo.

From what I've read, I need the factory amplifier that was under the seat in the 1993 models in order to hear anything. How difficult is it to take out the 1991 complete radio harness and install the 1993 bundle?

• Sponsors (?)

It would be a pita, as your '93 harness "piggybacks" onto your regular system, my advice would be to return your existing setup to stock condition, then merely plug the '93 setup into it as the factory did. If you can find the plugs in a junk yard etc, it should just be a matter of color matching the wires and soldering them together....

It would be a pita, as your '93 harness "piggybacks" onto your regular system, my advice would be to return your existing setup to stock condition, then merely plug the '93 setup into it as the factory did.

I'm not trying to being difficult but I guess I'm not following you. The '93 wiring and stereo need to go together, as the plugs are different from other years. Maybe a better question is how does the wiring harness from the stereo connect to the chassis harness (or does it at all)?

There surely must be someone here who has done what I'm attempting to do?