installing oil filler neck to trick flow valve covers

inphiniti

Mar 15, 2003
Providence, RI
just picked up a set of the TFS vcs. the person i grabbed it off of never used them on his car, thus never installing the oil filler neck... just wondering if anyone has installed it and if so, what size bit did they use to droll the hole? also how did they get the rubber gasket in the hole? i just happen to be staring at it a few minutes ago and i was just like :shrug::nonono:

feels as if everytime i were to take the cap off the filler neck, the neck would pop out of the VC any input would be great :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

Still unsure about 'em Jimmy? :D I'm glad they got out to you in one piece. You can use a multibit the diameter of the outer diameter of the rubber grommet supplied in the filler neck kit. If you're really unsure about doing it yourself, just bring the VC and the grommet to a machine shop and I can't imagine it costing more than a few dollars to get it done. Also, make sure you test fit the VC and find the location of the filler neck to make sure it clears your throttle body and all of the requisite vacuum hoses. :nice:

Chris

Still unsure about 'em Jimmy? :D I'm glad they got out to you in one piece. You can use a multibit the diameter of the outer diameter of the rubber grommet supplied in the filler neck kit. If you're really unsure about doing it yourself, just bring the VC and the grommet to a machine shop and I can't imagine it costing more than a few dollars to get it done. Also, make sure you test fit the VC and find the location of the filler neck to make sure it clears your throttle body and all of the requisite vacuum hoses. :nice:

Chris

yeah just unsure as what the steps were to installing that grommet, looks like a PITA... on one of the VCs, during shipping it necked a little area, which actually looks l ike a good area for me to cut the hole... theyre going to look sick on the motor, cant wait!! just wanted to see if anyone has done this before and had any suggestions as to waht they did/shouldve did and how they came out... also kinda curious as to how well that grommet is going to hold the filler neck in so everytime when i pull the cap, the neck doesnt come with it..

thanks guys!

DO NOT use a 1 1/4 hole saw!!!!! its too big and will leave your grommet sloppy.... i think trickflow said the hole needed to be 1.181'' or something alone them lines 1 and 1/8th works perfect.

My hole saw skipped around at first and left a small recess for the gromet to fit in.... it actually worked out lol.

DSCF7039.jpg

shows my placement quite well in this pic.... any questions send me a pm or just give me a call:nice:

I put mine at the back of the vc, because it was just too crowded in the stock location for my liking. If you still have the smog tubes / check valves on the car, that may not work, but it sure looks clean back there. I also used a hole saw that was smaller than called for. I can't remember if I used the 1-1/8" or the 1", but don't go bigger, because the grommet will be loose and leak oil all over. My cousin made that mistake.

Scott

I bought mine used with the hole predrilled. It was drilled in the back of the valve cover, but I don't think it's a good location if you still have the EGR installed. The grommet went in without much effort. The cap comes off easily without pulling the neck out of the cover.

Kurt

I bought mine used with the hole predrilled. It was drilled in the back of the valve cover, but I don't think it's a good location if you still have the EGR installed. The grommet went in without much effort. The cap comes off easily without pulling the neck out of the cover.

Kurt

I have a home-made copper tube for my EGR tube, so that may be why it didn't cause me any problems, but I'm with you on the grommet. If the hole isn't too small, it should pop right in with a bit of oil. Same for the cap. If you don't oil the o-ring seal, it won't go in for anything.

Scott

yeah my EGR is deleted... as for the oil tube, i was just messing around with it and the grommet and it just felt like if i pulled the cap hard enough the tube would come out. ill let you know how i make out guys, pulling the motor tomorrow