• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

Installing Prothane Bushings...

  • Thread starter Thread starter keybrdcowboy1
  • Start date Start date Nov 8, 2014

keybrdcowboy1

BestAvatarEver.
Founding Member
Mar 30, 2000
939
0
16
Northern VA
Nov 8, 2014
#1
  • Nov 8, 2014
  • #1
So I bought the whole Prothane kit for my 88 Saleen... Only a couple of the included kits came with any of the grease. Am I to assume that I don't need to grease anything for the parts that didn't include any grease? For instance, the front coil spring isolator stuff has no grease included... is it okay to to install it without grease? Same thing with the sway bar end-links... and a few of the others.

And is there any other kind of grease besides their "Supergrease" that i can use? Preferably something I cna buy at Autozone? Thanks for the help!
 

oldskolbus

Founding Member
Apr 30, 2002
258
13
29
WV
Nov 9, 2014
#2
  • Nov 9, 2014
  • #2
I had poly in my control arms of my last 5.0. They were great on the interstate but I hated them on roads with potholes. It was a rough ride and the squeaked a lot. I don't know if I'm right but I would use some marine (waterproof) grease on them. I think its in a green tube, if your using a grease gun
Edit: Mine might have been urethane(eng suspension)
 
Last edited: Nov 13, 2014

keybrdcowboy1

BestAvatarEver.
Founding Member
Mar 30, 2000
939
0
16
Northern VA
Nov 9, 2014
#3
  • Nov 9, 2014
  • #3
Hmm...the whole reason I decided to get the kit was because the car squeaked so bad...I assumed at 24 years old all the rubber was bad. Figured I would just put the urethane in....I don't want more squeaks!
 

mikestang63

SN Certified Technician
Aug 27, 2012
11,606
8,859
214
In the garage
Nov 9, 2014
#4
  • Nov 9, 2014
  • #4
No grease on the isolators. grease all of the other busings- sway bar, control arms. etc. You don't have to use their lube but you do need to use grease specific for poly bushings, you can also buy Marine grease. just look at the tube and make sure it works with poly bushings. Word of advice though. I do not recommend using poly bushings on both ends of rear lower control arms as they tend to cause excessive bind and tear up torque boxes, which is why I use Maximum Motorsports LCA. Same for the rear upper control arms. I leave the stock ones in with rubber bushings.

For the isolators, tape them to the top of the spring so they dont shift around.

Just my 2 cents.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Suspension End link replacement size
  • Teen'93stang5.0
  • May 12, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
6
Views
234
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 20, 2026
Teen'93stang5.0
G
Front Sway bar HELP
  • Grabberblueguy77
  • May 28, 2025
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
441
2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk- May 28, 2025
gkomo
Resolved 93 Mustang 5.0 - Cranks but does not start
  • dan50
  • Jul 18, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
6
Views
349
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 18, 2026
dan50
N
Vibration after new clutch
  • nipple_looker
  • Sep 20, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
23
Views
447
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 26, 2026
fasterthangas
F
For Sale Borg Warner WC T5, Stock Bell Housing, RAM Clutch Set, Double Hump Cross Member, & Pro 5.0 Shifter
  • AeroCoupe
  • Aug 9, 2025
  • Drivetrain Parts
Replies
3
Views
841
Drivetrain Parts Sep 7, 2026
AeroCoupe
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?