Instrument Cluster Flex Circuit Shorted - Repair/replace?

fl4

Aug 20, 2007
My 95 Cobra instrument cluster flex circuit is burned. I'm curious whether this can be repaired. If not, can it be replaced with a GT?

Car:
1995 Cobra.

Problem:

Instrument cluster has shorted out.

EGdi2J6.jpg

Replacing the 10 amp fuse results in a quickly blown fuse.

Cobra Specific Problem:

I have a 94 GT cluster right here, but the gauges don't line up.

mIfnyIW.jpg

The back of the flex circuit is the same.

However, the gauges are not. The numbers do not line up. I can't just swap over the flex circuit without having my speedo very wrong.

5uXyXpS.gif

I want to know if these can be repaired. If not, perhaps i can just use the GT flex circuit on the back of my cobra cluster and get a DM speed cal since the cobra specific stuff is 5 times the price of GT stuff.

• Sponsors (?)

I don't think that it's a given that the speedo won't work correctly if you swapped over the flex circuit. There aren't any chips on the circuit that would change the way the speedo reads.

The bigger question is why the thing fried as it did. Something is possibly shorted (one of your gauges, a light bulb) and you'll want to figure out why it burned up to avoid a new one burning up again. That wire itself isn't the cause of the fuse blowing (unless it's physically touching to a grounded surface).

If you want to attempt a fix, I've had success using a bottle of that "rear window defogger repair" paint. Scrape away the bad stuff and some of the insulator over clean wire, and paint between them. Afterwards, test the cluster and insulate with some tape or some plasti-dip if you're feeling fancy.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think that it's a given that the speedo won't work correctly if you swapped over the flex circuit. There aren't any chips on the circuit that would change the way the speedo reads.

Yes, you are right. The GT and Cobra flex circuit are both PN f4zf-10c956-b. I missed that.

The bigger question is why the thing fried as it did. Something is possibly shorted (one of your gauges, a light bulb) and you'll want to figure out why it burned up to avoid a new one burning up again. That wire itself isn't the cause of the fuse blowing (unless it's physically touching to a grounded surface).

Well, that just leaves the Speedo, doesn't it? Looks like that from the wiring (see pic above). How do I test to see if the see if the speedo is fried?

I agree with Joz. The problem might be in the speedo. If you can repair it on your own then surely you can or else you can take help of the professionals like residential electrical upgrades NJ. These people have better knowledge related to electrical panel and circuits, thus, can give you better suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Joz. The problem might be in the speedo. If you can repair it on your own then surely you can or else you can take help of the professionals like residential electrical upgrades NJ. These people have better knowledge related to electrical panel and circuits, thus, can give you better suggestions.

I don't think I'll recommend to anyone that they send their Mustang gauge cluster to a residental HVAC repair and installation company in New Jersey. I don't think you should either. :O_o:

Reactions: 1 user
Well I've owned a 94GT for 17 years, been on this forum for almost 20 years and this is a first that I've seen that one area on the cluster burn up like that.

I can't recommend getting just that section fixed without having to go buy a new cluster but you may want to go buy a lottery ticket.

My 95 GT cluster burned in the same spot a few days ago! The speedo circuit board smells like melted plastic and is discolored. Considering buying a cobra instrument cluster but I'm afraid of this happening again.