Insurance

2nd Mustang

Founding Member
Feb 24, 2002
Southern California
I guess this is car stuff so........

I've been seeing ads for 21st Century Insurance again even after being sold to AIG. My bills from them state that it's an AIG policy, so I thought that 21st Century might have spun off on their own again. Wrong, they are still part of AIG.

I tried calling the toll free number to ask, but so many questions by that silly voice recognition system that it was actually easier and faster to use their live texting, option on the internet.

My girlfriends financial advisor said to be careful if I have AIG insurance as they may not last much longer. I've heard on the news that some advisors don't expect AIG to last the year! Their stock was at $1.08 today. :notnice:

• Sponsors (?)

Yeah we (U.S. citizens) paid 45 Billion dollars for stocks worth 15 Billion because that is the best use of our tax money. This "Bail out" is more about paying back big business supporters than fixing the economy. Just like the banks that used their bail out money to buy other banks, instead of loaning it out to jump start small business and home buying. And now that only way to save us all (mainly here in california) is to raise all the taxes, and fees, and even add more charges to support a broken government. I think that California needs to do what GM has to do, restructure, and stop the unions death grip.

Bad thing for GM and Chrysler is that they could be under government control soon enough. Money that was given to them via the bailout has to be repaid in March (I think). If they aren't making any profit by then they're not going to have any money to pay back. Solution? They pay back the debt in stock options to the US gov't. Ergo, the companies are now under ownership of the federal government...which was probably the plan all along.

This video portrays it in a comedic light...

YouTube - The 2012 Pelosi GTxi SS/RT Sport Edition

We could have an American British Leyland on our hands. This is why Ford turned down the money.

so over the course of 2 weeks their stock has lost half its value? that's insane, have you dumped them yet?

I am shopping around. Unfortunately, being retired, I have to be careful about expenses. So far, no one can beat their prices and their service has been great over the years. It's too bad that they had to merge with AIG. Some have come close, like the Hartford through AARP. Anyone with ideas?

As for losing half it's value, anything under $10 per share is questionable, even in good times.

If your shopping around, look at Anpac.com (should have a local agent) Rates are great and if you stay clean they have a 25% premium rebate on your 4th yr. I get back about 500 bucks this yr because all my insurance is thru them. Basically getting 6months of auto coverage for free on my 3 vehicles now. Their Classic car rates are good too, my stang with stated value of 20k is 74.00 bucks for 6 months.

I joined Costco Wholesale yesterday just to get a quote of their Ameriprise car insurance. It's more coverage than I get with 21st Century (AIG) for about a $100 less per year, but the down side is no comp/collision on the Mustang due to the age of the car. I may still go with them as it's the best deal so far.

On the plus side, Costco gasoline is about 20 cents less per gallon and I get a free pizza just for joining! :nice:

Late breaking news! Google search netted this:

http://www.investmentnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090306/REG/903069952

AIG is saying that large bonuses are NEEDED :rlaugh: to retain employees who can run the company. I think the only people who knew what they were doing were probably the janitorial staff!

I think AIG is laughing their butts off as more money is being poured into their company.

Bend over and grab your ankles.

Is it just me or can anyone else see the lack of common sense in this statement quoted from the LA Times today.

"The employees are "de-risking actively," said Nicholas J. Ashooh, head of communications for AIG. "If you don't have the right people at financial products, you could lose a multitude of this amount in an afternoon."