The Tragic Tale of ElSuperPinto

• Sponsors (?)

To be fair, Amazon said it wouldn't..... ;)

1665680098956.png

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
To be fair, Amazon said it wouldn't..... ;)

1665680098956.png
Amazon's vehicle filter is about as reliable as a BMW. It also doesn't know about the Milodon 8qt oil pan that makes it impossible to run the original starter.

I warrantied out the Advance Auto Parts P3205 (which happens to be for the same application that starter is supposed to be for, 1993 Mustang 5.0/automatic) that was in it and she's running again this morning.

Reactions: 3 users
I've dropped the price a few times, and haven't had anyone actually show up to look at it. I get the odd message or email about it, but that's it. If it doesn't sell whole soon, I'll part the bastard out.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
I actually had a Craigslist idiot message me today asking if I'd take monthly payments. I told him "sure, with a $4500 down payment".

:rlaugh:

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
ElSuperPinto is still around for now. I've had another idiot want to make payments on it, and another guy make an almost-tempting offer to trade a 1995 Kawasaki Vulcan for it.

I haven't even had a single person actually show up to look at it, even after lowering the price multiple times and answering a zillion questions and taking dozens of pictures, so I guess the ol' girl will end up meeting the same fate as my previous IIs. That's too bad really, this one was special, but oh well.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Why is selling a II so damned difficult?

1669738818883.png

There's my ad on the Book o' Faces. An ad where I clearly state that this car is a project, that it's modified, that is has issues, and provide 20 pictures AND A VIDEO of the car detailing its condition.

Yet I get numbskulls like this genius from last night:

Untitled.jpg

This guy wants the car delivered, okay, yeah, I can do that (I'd be insisting on being paid for the fuel and trailer rental via CashApp or Venmo up front, but honestly, not a problem), but that next question??? Holy :leghump:.

Man that is a torture!
I know that the situation in NA is different to ours in Europe, but at the moment people are not so much willing to spend money on "toys". If you follow financial news and blogs you can see, that used car prices (not classic cars) are dropping all over the world. Also house prices are dropping everywhere. And you have an inverted yield curve (they even state that the "global" yield curve just inverted, what ever global means), so recession is coming very likely not only in Europe.
So perhaps it is not only that the Mustang II is a very specific car, but the overall market/economic situation...
Perhaps Santa realizes next month that his sleigh is broken and sees that you car is the perfect fit. Its red and white.

• Agree
Ridiculous. I have a rust free lower mileage 2004 Stratus R/T my son put on facebook a few times now and the responses are crazy. It's the mitsubishi eclipse in mopar clothing. They do not read the ads. Or cannot comprehend them. I don't know which. I am starting to think the responses are bots since they are so brain dead. It needs the timing belt tensioner replaced. The oil pressure is low and she rattles on startup. I have the belt kit but not the time or motivation. Yet the only responses are basically "will you guarantee the car has no problems. I want to use it for blah blah and cannot afford to fix things". I am asking a grand. It comes with the parts. I am not doing the repairs. I would take a few hundred to save it from the scrapyard but the hassle isn't worth it.

extra stout is right. I have been looking at used trucks. 6 months ago they were gone in no time. Now their are sitting on lots for longer and longer. What used to be gone in 2 weeks are now listed for months.

• Agree
Man that is a torture!
I know that the situation in NA is different to ours in Europe, but at the moment people are not so much willing to spend money on "toys". If you follow financial news and blogs you can see, that used car prices (not classic cars) are dropping all over the world. Also house prices are dropping everywhere. And you have an inverted yield curve (they even state that the "global" yield curve just inverted, what ever global means), so recession is coming very likely not only in Europe.
So perhaps it is not only that the Mustang II is a very specific car, but the overall market/economic situation...
Perhaps Santa realizes next month that his sleigh is broken and sees that you car is the perfect fit. Its red and white.
Right now, I'm doing really well at selling parts out of my stash (stuff not intended for this car). If if isn't gone by the end of the year, it will get parted out and I'll probably make more than I was asking for the whole car. That's what happened to the '74 and the '76. Hell, I tried to GIVE the '74 away.

I have a love hate relationship with market place. I'm very straight forward with what I sell and do what I tell people I will do. On the buying side I get the run around all the time. Very frustrating at times. Sorry you are having trouble but not surprised.

Right now, I'm doing really well at selling parts out of my stash
Your right, I'm currently selling all m 66 Mustang parts and they are gone fast to fair prices. On the other hand, there are not much used parts around (compared to the years before). Perhaps because shipping costs are so high.
I completely understand you situation. I wish you the missing amount of luck, that you get is sold in one piece.

Agreed with everyone else, it's a bad time to try to sell a project. As much as I don't want the car to be parted out, I can't say I'd blame you for doing it. If my situation was different I'd seriously contemplate taking it off your hands. But I definitely have way too much going on to take on yet another project.... :(

ElSuperPinto still sits at the shop. I started it the other day to make sure I still could (fired right up, gotta love an Edelbrock carburetor). Nothing but lowball offers, dreamers, schemers, and no-shows since I listed it months ago. Parting it out looks like a real possibility at this point, and I hate that, but I'll do what I gotta do.

I'm thinking about selling the 4Runner as well, working as a mechanic means my paychecks are never consistent, and dependent on work flow, my physical and mental state, and parts availability, and lately those just aren't synching up favorably. The 4Runner could be sold instantly, I've got a $7000 Carmax offer (not bad considering I paid them $8900 for it five years ago when I worked there), or I could try my luck with listing it on FB for the $10k or so it's worth according to KBB (my experience with trying to sell the II discourages me there). That would put me in the driver's seat of my girlfriend's '99 Ranger, which has been an extra vehicle for us (and a useful one, especially when we moved back in December) since she bought her Buick last year.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
More people are in the market for a 4Runner than a Mustang ll. I'd list it for 12 and take the first thing close to 11. A couple weeks isn't very long. Sorry your having trouble selling the ll.

4Runner is gone, sold to CarMax for $7600. I was going to throw it on FB for $10,000 and take the first offer over $7500, but I saw that CarMax had reported that used car prices had gone back up, so I checked and got that online offer and saved myself the trouble.

Drove the girlfriend's Ranger the rest of the day. I adore that truck and was looking on Craigslist and FB for a beater, including Rangers, and when she got home from work and saw me doing it, she asked if I wanted hers. Told her it'd be great and I'd pay her for it, and she GAVE it to me.

So... I now have a Ford Effin Ranger for a daily.

My dumb ass is already shopping for a lowering kit and researching V8 swaps. :nonono:

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: 4 users