Intake Identification

john95 5.0

May 23, 2010
topeka
Hello guys, I was wondering if you guys new what resources i could use to help me correctly identify a lower intake. They say its from a 95 cobra but I'm not sure and have no way to tell the difference. the casting number is RF-F87E-8K461-BB. Is there a manual that has casting number information on it that i could use? Any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I'd pass on that one. The casting number says it's from either the Ford Explorer or one of the Cobra kits (the "F8" indicates 1998: "F" represents the 1990's in Ford numbers, so one built in 1995 would be F5). However, the actual year isn't as important in this case. It's the last two letters: BB. My web research indicates that "BB" was used just on the Explorer engines, and may not be good for our purpose. If it said "BA" instead, that would be the lower sold with the GT-40 and 93 Cobra kits, and would be good.

You may be able to use the intake anyway - show us some pics and let us take a look.

You can use it as it is. The Explorer, Cobra, and GT40 lower intakes are interchangeable. The only difference is that earlier versions may have a port for the ACT sensor in the no.5 runner.

That intake is what you need. The Cobra and explorer intakes are the same. That one doesn't have the passage for the EGR or the temp sensor, which is what you need.

Kurt

there is a small HP difference between the cobra intakes and the explorers. Its about 10 or 15 hp weaker than the cobra. I remember looking at some flow charts at one point and the CFM was down. If you had it extrude honed you could more than make up the small difference. :nice:

there is a small HP difference between the cobra intakes and the explorers. Its about 10 or 15 hp weaker than the cobra. I remember looking at some flow charts at one point and the CFM was down. If you had it extrude honed you could more than make up the small difference.

there is a small HP difference between the cobra intakes and the explorers. Its about 10 or 15 hp weaker than the cobra. I remember looking at some flow charts at one point and the CFM was down. If you had it extrude honed you could more than make up the small difference.

Actually, someone just posted a dyno test not long ago, and the Explorer intake out performed the Cobra and GT-40 by about 1 hp. 10-15 hp is impossible. There isn't that much difference between the stock intake and the Cobra.

Kurt

The lowers on the Cobra, GT-40 and Explorer all flow identical numbers. Member TMoss is a porting expert on these intakes, has done extensive flow testing and dyno research on them and has numbers to prove this.

Need help have he same lower intake got it for my 92 mustang 5.0 has anyone install this this model intake since it doesn’t have a boss to install ACT. And also it’s a non egr. Would really like to know how to swap it.

If you are set on using that intake, extend the wiring and mount the AcT in the intake tube or airbox.

the wall is really this so drill/tap could work...or make your intake scrap metal.

personally, I’d toss the lower on eBay and seek out an F87E-9K461-BA lower intake.