Intake manifold brass fittings, and flexplate issues

97PIswapGT

Feb 23, 2009
Im getting a air leak where the gasket from the intake manifold goes to the upper plenum, causing P0174 and P0171 (running lean on both banks). The brass fittings are the cause they want to pop out from the manifold preventing it from getting a good seal. Is there any way I can jb weld the fittings in or buy new ones?

I also believe I have a bad flexplate mabey one in 15 starts will cause a grinding/clunck and the engine will stop turning for a sec, along with some vibrations at idle and a feint clinking noise comming from that area. Does this sound right?

• Sponsors (?)

Anyway you could provide pics of your intake? If its the screw housing for the upper to be bolted down to the lower, than yes. The JB weld might make the fitting stronger to the manifold then before. It is very easy to over torque those brass fittings, had to buy a Dorman PI intake and my fuel rail brass fittings are stripped so I am not surprised by your problem. I'm looking up your flex plate problem.
From what I understand, this could be very well your flex plate, and after your flex plate fails, your starter goes bad. It could be missing teeth or just grossly out of balance.:flag:

Its a OEM PI intake manifold I got used off ebay with the PI heads. I never really had the fittings come loose untill now which is over a year after I installed it. I have a fuel rail one that is stripped but puts enough pressure on the rail to keep it from leaking. I dont ever recall over torquing the plenum ones who knows. Ill try the JB weld tommorow