Interested in 1996-2004 GT vert

67pony

Founding Member
Jun 3, 2002
Canada
Hi, I have a classic mustang, but looking to maybe move into a convertible... is there years I should avoid... what are the key things to look out for when looking at these model years... tranny? top? etc etc...

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I'd say to go with a 1999-2004. No real major problems with them but of course every year got better so a low mileage 03-04 would be ideal.

You will really enjoy the V8 rumble with the top down :nice:.

Stangshoot1.jpg

do it

I have a 99 GT convert it now has close to 150,000 the intake manifold was changed & the computer went bad but it never left me stranded I drove to a shop & had the computer changed , all in all I love it ....all cars have some problems but she never broke down it gets 20 mpg city & highway .... & have got 24 on the highway the AC still kicks great , if you can get one with like 70,000 or less & can do a car fax you wont be sorry ...a one mature owner helps ! good luck you can get one as with the bad economy look private.... there good cars ......:nice:

I prefer the 99+ and they have the PI heads and cams so they are more powerful. I'd look for a Roush stage 3 or something like that.
You can get some nicely modded cars cheap too. I bet theres a few on this board looking to sell. Every now and then I think of selling mine, but I soon get over that idea. I'm keeping my vert for life. Its just too damn purdy.:D

The vert top will need to be replaced on most cars with that age. I'm switching mine now after 8 years and 50k miles. Top is cheap, but labor is high. I recommend doing it yourself. I'll post a how to up here soon.

As far as issues, these cars are very reliable. Cracked plastic intake manifolds are one of the more common big issues. Definitely check that out thoroughly. Make sure there's no oil/coolant mixing going on etc. The manual tranny is probably the only other bit that has caused headaches and it seemed to get better with that later years. Far fewer 03-04 owners seem to complain than back in the day. The auto tranny is rock solid.

I'll whore a pic then.... Its a few years old. I'll have the Roush wing and nose on the car in the next few weeks. Cant wait.:nice:

58993d1248042076-interested-1996-2004-gt-vert-mustang-1680x1050-pixels.jpg

Attachments

• Mustang 1680x1050 pixels.jpg
    Mustang 1680x1050 pixels.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 440
I'd definitely go 01-04 due to the mid-style update (especially inside).

I had an 02 and it was a hoot. :nice:

BBS006-1.jpg

I can dig up more pictures at request.
Holy crap! Those BBS rims are friggin nice on DSG! I myself like the 94-01 interior basically since it hasn't changed and I can find console parts for basically free on wrecked cars, and I don't like the buttons behind the shifter on 01 and up cars.

I just had my top done earlier this spring, cost $350 from LMR, for Electron Tops, one of the best MFR's out there. My install was a little under $500, and it looks brand new. My car has a wee problem of the pass. front window catching on the top, but I think a new regulator gear will stop it from traveling the extra 1/4 inch and catching on the top when you close the door.

I absolutely love the 94-98 coupes, the 99-04 'verts and the Mach/Bullitt/Cobra coupe cars from 99-04.

Basically try to find an unmolested one in the autotrader or a well cared for one like mine (which might be up for sale soon, IDK yet), and make sure you do two mods right away on whatever car you buy, do the Cobra brake swap and a gear change in the rear. These are probably the best two mods I've done to date SOTP gaugewise, and look at my sig for my bolt on's.

Go for the look you want... curvy or boxy...

1d15f8c6.jpg

PICT0069.jpg

Don't let these guys make you think that a '99+ is all that faster than a '98... they aren't. It's a drivers race with the '99+ being 35hp faster which isn't that much. You can correct that for minimal money or good driving. Gears alone can give you an advantage.

Snow...? Hell, Mustangs plus snow do not mix, but a good set of Blizzaks will make your driveability not too bad...

Snow-Day-1.jpg

I hate it when those box cars act like they are all that. Even before my blower I could still hang with them with no problem.

And the cracked intake was not isolated to pre-99 cars. They had it too up till 2001.

:rolleyes:

Aero body style is my preference. Major limitations on my current car are: 2.73 gears, plastic coolant runner. I plan on swapping the stock intake manifold for a PI manifold with aluminum crossover, which really woke up my '97. Then putting in 4.10s

07092009004.jpg

07092009015.jpg

My car came stock with 3.27 gears, the same as stock in '99s. My plastic coolant runner was the same as the ones in '99s and '00s. I replaced it with the aluminum runner. :D

'99 verts came with a cheap vert boot. The pre-'99 boot is hot and quality.