Invitations to go to "Mexico"?

FoxMustangLvr

I love my Pimp
SN Certified Technician
Oct 14, 2012
Spokane, Wa
(Mexico = street race)
Do you accept them? Deny them? Get annoyed by them?

For me, I used to street race and I'm lucky I didn't kill myself nor anyone else. I haven't forgotten that either as I drive around in my 5.0 and get reactions from people old and young and in between. However lately, people have been wanting to race me and depending on the where/when/who I'm either bothered by it or slightly entertained yet declining it.

A couple weeks ago I was cruising up an aterial road, 3 lanes wide in each north/south direction. I was on my way back from taking my twin girls to a birthday party. Our 5.0's, when clean and/or tastefully modded, get a fair amount of attention from various walks of life. My car is a bit of both and I kept the windows clean and clear (no tint). It's obvious to passersby that I have car seats in the back seat and those car seats are obviously in use because you can see my twin daughters and their hair being pushed around from the air being blown in from my windows being down. A guy notices me, a guy around my age (42), and he immediately gets mirror to mirror with me. He's not looking at me but he suddenly matches my speed for a while and is trying to catch my attention. When I don't give him his attention he finally yells to me, "that's my favorite car, nice 5.0!". I wave to him and smile and I let off the gas to slow a bit, I cruise like this a short bit before he down shifts and engine breaks a little bit and he is now again by my drivers side rear quarter. I know what's about to happen and wince as he downshifts again and the rpms climbs as he floors it and his car SCREAMS by my drivers side window, it sounded like his engine was going to explode. Traffic signal in front of us turns red and just my luck traffic in front of us lined us up door to door again. I pulled up next to him and he begins to tell me about his Bxx something swapped Honda engine that's putting down 245whp and blah blah. I'm thinking, does this guy not see my daughters in the back seat? There's no way this guy is this stupid to think I'd race him with my kids in my car in broad daylight on an aterial road, right? This is the type of crap that upsets me.

Then there's yesterday, once again I'm just cruising along, this time no kids ( I had just dropped them off at their friends ), and in front of me in the right lane is a really nice BMW 535i, I swear there was an M in BMW colors too but I know I saw 535 so I had to be wrong to think this car was an M series because they only show 1 number, not all three. Anyways, cruising along behind this really nice BMW I noticed he suddenly slows down then picks up his speed again right when he's mirror to mirror with me. Once again he's not looking at me or trying to get my attentions, he's looking forward just like I am but I can "feel" what this persons intentions are. Next thing I know this guy drops a gear and floors it! This thing got up and went pretty dang good. Not so sure I could've taken him If I felt like street racing but who really knows. I wasn't upset that the guy wanted to race, it was flattering actually and it was at least a decent car to give me a good run, however, I'm just not in to racing on the street anymore. I enjoy my occasional romp on the gas or a quick 1-2 shift but I'm not putting my well being or YOURS at risk for a cheap thrill anymore.

Check out this video, it's recently added to the chaos of racing video's on the net. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD2e0iawSvw

• Sponsors (?)

Did when I was younger, and it still excites me to think about, but scares me at the same time. I don't participate either as it is too dangerous. Not worth the risk.

Joe

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
I used to always have people wanting to race my '11 GT. It looked the part, but only had a few bolt ons. I only gave in once and beat an M5 from a dig til the next light thanks to the fresh R888s I had put on. I took that one win along with not getting caught and decided to leave my good luck as good. Havent had the Fox out at all in 2 years, so I am yet to see what reactions it will get.

Meh,.....I guess it all depends on when and where. We all raced on the street. It continues to this day. Even back in the 70's when I was regularly street racing ( and through the early-mid 90's) you weigh the risk in exchange for the thrill.

All of you guys,.....you go out and build 500 WHP, and then do what with it? Putz around?

If and when the Monster gets his power back, and if the right situation arises......let one of you roll up beside me and drop down a gear..

I'll beat that ass.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Meh,.....I guess it all depends on when and where. We all raced on the street. It continues to this day. Even back in the 70's when I was regularly street racing ( and through the early-mid 90's) you weigh the risk in exchange for the thrill.

All of you guys,.....you go out and build 500 WHP, and then do what with it? Putz around?

If and when the Monster gets his power back, and if the right situation arises......let one of you roll up beside me and drop down a gear..

I'll beat that ass.

Well sht, thats reason enough to finish mine and road trip to 'Bama!

Reactions: 2 users
I stopped street racing....until a z06 rolled up next to me and my middle son. It was on a busy highway in the middle of the freagin day. He would've been left alone if my son hadn't said , " Ooo dad, look, a real race car !!! ". He dropped the hammer and I followed suit.

My lips uttered the words, " boy...you see this cage in here...this is a race car... "

What I knew was that that z06 was a new vette...my mustang was an 89. I got ahead of that fool in heavy traffic. Everytime we'd pop out of a cluster he'd start running me down. With sweat on my brow, I knew he wouldn't take as much risk and his car was wider than mine. He never caught up to me....and my son is a die hard mustang fan now.

Those days are again over. After it was all said and done I would've felt really stupid if something would've happened to my boy over my ego.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
I'll cut loose for a couple gears as long as it's clear, just enough to show up some rice trash, I imagine they get embarrassed get'n gap 'd by what looks kinda trashy. I always feel kinda foolish after :doh:

Not anymore. While I like to have fun in my car, I do it on my own terms when I think it's safe.

I've seen ebough other drivers do stupid crap that I just stay away.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
I agree that it really comes down to time, place, and how few (if any) people are around. For all of those to line up and for me to actually be in my Mustang instead of my F-150 at the time it's really rare. In the Spring time earlier this year it did happen, no other cars around, late Saturday night on a 4 lane arterial road, a 67 Mustang pulled on to the road and began cruising next to me by shear luck. It was a very nice resto-mod coupe and the engine sounded very healthy too. An older gentlemen and his wife were cruising it and while he was pacing me on my right I kept my car in 3rd just in case he wanted to play and then it happened, he hammered down and took off and I floored it too. I could hear my twin screw music playing and his NA engine in the background and we stayed door to door until we let off. We thumbed up each other and I took my upcoming turn off to my neighborhood. It was good safe fun on a vacant late night road and that's the way it should be.

I'll beat that ass.
Meh, I typically do not race against diesels :D:stir:

He would've been left alone if my son hadn't said , " Ooo dad, look, a real race car !!! ".
That's hilarious!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
It depends on the time and place... If it is a open road with no traffic [and no lanes to pull out in front of you] I have been known to do a pull or two. If it is just me in the car thats fine, by chance i have company in the car i dont unless they tell me to...

The track is so much safer . But the thrill ? Only those who have done it can understand is what I tell people. We have a few good spots here we hit late night early am once in a while

Honestly, a good 1st, to 2nd gear pull is all I need to make me a happy guy. Sometimes a good rip into 2nd with some tire spin get my jollies off. Other than that, i'd rather just cruise around at 2-3K RPM listening to my dronemasters and catching thumbs up from 1). Guys in pickup trucks, 2.) guys in jeeps and 3.) everyone at the gas station who tends to come over to check the car out.

Hell..who needs car shows. I just go get gas.

I actually got a thumbs up and nod from a guy in a Ferarri last week. That made my day much more than actually racing it.

• Agree
I think we are dancing on the 'we don't condone that' line in the asphalt
1v3d03.jpg

• Haha
  • Agree